Show Us Your Pink Fossils!

masonboro37

The closest thing to pink hue that I have: a chunk of dinosaur bone with some agatization:

attachicon.gifBone (MedRare) 02.pngattachicon.gifBone (MedRare) 03.pngattachicon.gifBone (MedRare) 05.png

Though, it doesn't look so pink and colorful if not wet. The pics were taken when it was wet.

Hi AJ, that has the spectrum of many shades of pink! AWESOME! Thank you. :) I did not realize that dinosaur bone could agatize, I learn many new thing everyday on the forum. ;)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Yes it is a littel megalodon tooth :meg dance: :meg dance:

See Xray photo's

That is seriously amazing. I need to take some specimens to work and do this. :D

Forgot about this one in my collection. Partial chamber cast of an Eutrephoceras carolinensis, Cephalopod. Castle Hayne Formation, NC: Eocene. :)

post-7899-0-36723700-1365890462_thumb.jpg

Masonboro37....Glad you liked it...

I noticed another couple....

An very pink Asteroceras double and a ' pinkish' Cenoceras nautilus from Lyme Regis....

post-1630-0-66210600-1365923083_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-74493600-1365923109_thumb.jpg

Theres a story with the Asteroceras....Me and me late dad were in Charmouth trying to get to the Blackven landslip up and down the terraces and through the mud-slips whilst the tide was in to be early after high tide to be in with a chance of finding something fresh washed out...When we finally got there shattered and covered in mud there were a couple of collectors and a film crew who must of scaled down the cliff to access it which i didn't know you could at the time.... After an hour or so of finding very little as all the good stuff was all piled up against two rucksacks one of the guys said would you like a fossil and I said yes, that would be great... he took us over to his corner and there were little promiceras blocks and a damaged asty... He said would you like the asty... I got the bits to glue back on... I was expecting him to say a couple of proms I was gobsmacked really... He said I'll trim the rock down for you to carry it....and in doing so a second asty popped out into view... I saw this look on his face so I said... Look... I know what that is worth, I aint going to think anything bad of you if you want to keep it... I understand... Double astys especially big 7" ones are not common... He breathed out and said, nope... I said you can have it and you can... I believe he only collects MINT stuff and RARE stuff... probably the best collection in the country I been told but very few ever get to see any of it...So he broke the nodule down and I carried it off... I took it to Mike Marshall in Whitby and left it with him intwo pieces... When I picked it up i wasnt expecting pink.... all the astys I's seen were brown with cream middles...fabulous fossil anyhow and.... What a gift !... Thanks again if you ever read this David...

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The whole inferior aalenian layer at Belmont is famous for its pinkish, dark red hues...Turns to black violet not far from there :)

<this pic wouldn't download with the editor???>

Toarcian nearby is also red pink , in contrast to the dark grey-blue-violet of Belmont

post-9611-0-75176800-1365925648_thumb.jpgpost-9611-0-91730200-1365925683_thumb.jpg

Edited by taj

These fusulinids are only slightly pink:

post-6808-0-47419800-1365935468_thumb.jpg

Triticites sp.

Ervine Creek Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Andrew County, Missouri

The largest is 6 mm.

Context is critical.

Pink goniatite:

post-6808-0-05170700-1363765774_thumb.jpg
post-6808-0-65364700-1363765767_thumb.jpg

Subkargalites sp.

Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri

1 cm across.

Context is critical.

Howdy Ya'll! Time to add some plants to the thread. Here are my 3D Calamite stems that are pink to reddish in color from the Pottsville Formation. Have a dark purple one too. Enjoying this thread!

post-5318-0-17642000-1365957524_thumb.jpg

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Masonboro37....Glad you liked it...

I noticed another couple....

An very pink Asteroceras double and a ' pinkish' Cenoceras nautilus from Lyme Regis....

attachicon.gifz46.jpg attachicon.gifSSA51257.JPG

Theres a story with the Asteroceras....Me and me late dad were in Charmouth trying to get to the Blackven landslip up and down the terraces and through the mud-slips whilst the tide was in to be early after high tide to be in with a chance of finding something fresh washed out...When we finally got there shattered and covered in mud there were a couple of collectors and a film crew who must of scaled down the cliff to access it which i didn't know you could at the time.... After an hour or so of finding very little as all the good stuff was all piled up against two rucksacks one of the guys said would you like a fossil and I said yes, that would be great... he took us over to his corner and there were little promiceras blocks and a damaged asty... He said would you like the asty... I got the bits to glue back on... I was expecting him to say a couple of proms I was gobsmacked really... He said I'll trim the rock down for you to carry it....and in doing so a second asty popped out into view... I saw this look on his face so I said... Look... I know what that is worth, I aint going to think anything bad of you if you want to keep it... I understand... Double astys especially big 7" ones are not common... He breathed out and said, nope... I said you can have it and you can... I believe he only collects MINT stuff and RARE stuff... probably the best collection in the country I been told but very few ever get to see any of it...So he broke the nodule down and I carried it off... I took it to Mike Marshall in Whitby and left it with him intwo pieces... When I picked it up i wasnt expecting pink.... all the astys I's seen were brown with cream middles...fabulous fossil anyhow and.... What a gift !... Thanks again if you ever read this David...

Thanks you for sharing the story and the excellent Asteroceras and Cenoceras. Beautiful shades of pink! I have fond memories of me with my late father out fishing and looking for Indian artifacts. These memories one never forgets!

The whole inferior aalenian layer at Belmont is famous for its pinkish, dark red hues...Turns to black violet not far from there :)

<this pic wouldn't download with the editor???>

Toarcian nearby is also red pink , in contrast to the dark grey-blue-violet of Belmont

attachicon.gifIMG_0774 - copie.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0778 - copie.JPG

Delicious pink/red hue's. Hope you can get the other downloaded. Would love to see ! Thanks for sharing!

Howdy Ya'll! Time to add some plants to the thread. Here are my 3D Calamite stems that are pink to reddish in color from the Pottsville Formation. Have a dark purple one too. Enjoying this thread!

Hi Ric! About time a plant was added, thank you! Very nice color too! Post the dark purple please, I would love to see.... :D

These fusulinids are only slightly pink:

attachicon.gif1548-Triticites-Ervine.jpg

Triticites sp.

Ervine Creek Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Andrew County, Missouri

The largest is 6 mm.

Ohhhh, those are so fragile looking and the perfect light pink! I have never seen those before, thank you. I am learning more and more from making this thread. :)

Pink goniatite:

Subkargalites sp.

Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri

1 cm across.

:wub:

Libby,

Pink is an unusual color for a fossil. Sometimes, it comes from something that was red/reddish but the color got washed out. When Peru allowed the export of fossils back in the 90's, I saw some pink great whites from the Pisco Formation (Sacaco area). A few teeth were part pink/part blue.

Jess

I know kind of girly, I suppose. I am just curious how many fossils are out there which have a hue of pink......I have come across one echinoid which is pink/rose from the Rocky Point quarry, NC: Eocene. I can not find in my fossil room. It is somewhere tucked away. The ribbed oyster is the Belgrade Formation, NC: Late Oligocene. :)

Libby

Libby-

I have no pinks that I can think of, but if you are one of these people who has an xray machine at work... by all means take some fossil in and xray them. And share anything interesting with us all....

Here's some red (or dark pink) fossils from Red Rock Creek at Tanquary Fiord, Northern Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, Canada. The site is Permian. This is the northernmost site I have in my collection; the red circle in the map image shows the approximate area. It's now in Quttinirpaaq National Park, but these fossils were collected in 1977, before the park was established (in 1988).

Don

Canina Neospirifer Thamnosia arctica Rhynchopora

post-528-0-93474900-1366253465_thumb.jpgpost-528-0-68888400-1366253489_thumb.jpgpost-528-0-81804600-1366253517_thumb.jpgpost-528-0-31768500-1366253542_thumb.jpgpost-528-0-14538100-1366253551_thumb.jpg

?Cremnispirifer

post-528-0-44707500-1366253560_thumb.jpgpost-528-0-16120500-1366255472_thumb.jpg

Libby,

Pink is an unusual color for a fossil. Sometimes, it comes from something that was red/reddish but the color got washed out. When Peru allowed the export of fossils back in the 90's, I saw some pink great whites from the Pisco Formation (Sacaco area). A few teeth were part pink/part blue.

Jess

Thank you Jess! I also read about how bacteria can play a role in the coloration of pink. So interesting!

French Carboniferous:

fougeres-arborescentes_2029903-L.jpg

fougeres-arborescentes_2029909-L.jpg

preles-geants_2030896-L.jpg

preles-geants_2030921-L.jpg

fougere-arborescente_2029877-L.jpg

Spanish Jurassic:

ammonite-du-jurassique-espagnol-holcophy

deux-lissoceratoides-erato-du-jurassique

USA Rhynchosauroides:

empreintes-de-rhynchosaurus-%28trias%29_

Cpt Nemo, thank you for sharing your hue of pink fossils. So splendid! I always enjoy your fossils and backgrounds. :)

Libby-

I have no pinks that I can think of, but if you are one of these people who has an xray machine at work... by all means take some fossil in and xray them. And share anything interesting with us all....

I am working on that. Should be very interesting. ;)

Here's some red (or dark pink) fossils from Red Rock Creek at Tanquary Fiord, Northern Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, Canada. The site is Permian. This is the northernmost site I have in my collection; the red circle in the map image shows the approximate area. It's now in Quttinirpaaq National Park, but these fossils were collected in 1977, before the park was established (in 1988).

Don

Canina Neospirifer Thamnosia arctica Rhynchopora

attachicon.gifTQFNU_Canina.jpgattachicon.gifTQFNU_Neospirifer.jpgattachicon.gifTQFNU_productid 1.jpgattachicon.gifTQFNU_productid 1b.jpgattachicon.gifTQFNU_Rhynchopora.jpg

?Cremnispirifer

attachicon.gifTQFNU_spiriferid_2.jpgattachicon.gifTQFNU.jpg

Hello Don and thank you for sharing your fossils and map local. I love brachiopods!

• 2 weeks later...

Two pinkish colored shark teeth from south florida attachment=188272:Screenshot_2013-04-30-19-46-47.png]

post-10787-0-23816800-1367365753_thumb.png