Florida Fossil Hunting- Aug 2Nd

Shellseeker

It may not be accurate to call this a fossil hunting trip since I neither found nor hunted fossils. It had been a busy 3-4 weeks since my last Peace River trip on July 11th. On July 12th, I headed north to Cape Cod (bluefish and stripped bass were running) and Vermont (went diving off the rocks in the Dorset Marble Quarry and sledding down Bromley Ski trails). Had some good times, but still I am addicted to the Peace River and withdrawal symptoms are setting in -- It is really pitiful. I get irritable easily, shake a little and, worst of all, spend time working in the yard.

Even while looking at the USGS gauges, I decided to go to the river yesterday. The river is deep and the currants are fast. I had stuffed everything small into the hatches and strapped down everything else. Had a tether on the paddle and was also wearing a life jacket. I had flipped this kayak just about a year ago in similar conditions and adversity is a great teacher.

The river has drastically changed with 4 weeks of daily downpours. All of the occasional vegetation like water hyacinth have been uprooted and swept downstream. In shallow flat areas the width of the river has doubled (at least) and in those areas with steep sides, the river is like rapids rushing thru what used to be tree branches 10-15 feet off the ground. It took me a couple of hours to make the almost 2 mile trip upstream against the currant.

post-2220-0-31348000-1375552302_thumb.jpg

My basic plan was to reach a couple of gravel islands (normally 6 feet above the river) and hope that the river was only 2-3 feet above the top of the island. It could have worked! I found the right location with the top branches of saplings which grew on the islands sticking out of the river by a couple of feet. I probed down with my paddle and thought that the top of the island was about 4 feet below my kayak. There was a possibility that I was not over the highest point of the island, but there was only one way to find out. So I stripped off and secured my life jacket, grabbed the tether to the kayak, and jumped in. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. Note that I did not say that it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Unfortunately, I was directly over the highest plateau, which was about 10 feet by 5 feet long and 4-4.5 feet under the surface. Not really dig-able because the current would effect both my balance and the gravel as I lifted the shovel. Using the kayak as a floatation device, I kicked my feet to get back to the river bank, into the life jacket and kayak. Here are some pictures. For perspective, cattle walked downhill under and 10 feet past the wire toward me in this photo to get a drink in early July.

post-2220-0-89310500-1375552324_thumb.jpg

So, why do I tell this story:

1) When someone wants to visit Florida and the Peace River on their vacation before October, we can point them to this thread -- it is just not possible.

2) It demonstrates how desperate I am to get back to my favorite hobby. If anyone on the forum knows of any location in northern Florida that is not inundated by rain and you can still find a fossil or two, I am willing to travel... please reply to this thread or PM me. I need some summertime opportunities.

Thx SS

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Having the same withdrawal symptoms as you I went to Yankeetown to look for echinoids on the spoil islands at the mouth of the Withlacoochee. As always there were plenty to find, the greatest quantity being Eupatagus Antillarium, but also several 1/2 to 3/4 inch sand dollars and tiny (1/4 inch) sea biscuits. Went at high tide which is not the way to go, but I just couldn't stay inside any longer.

Decided to explore.....sank the kayak in rough water and got rescued by fisherman.....called it a day.

I've said before that I'm not much of an invertebrate guy, but the echinoids here are pretty cool and people love them. They are bright creme colored and a nice counterpoint to all or our black stuff.

PS..Have an 11:00AM appointment with Richard Hulbert Tuesday Aug 6th to identify my unknowns (unsures) for this reporting year. Don't expect much, but always hopeful. I have a nice beardog/bear canine I want to confirm and a larger than normal calcaneum that I'm interested in ID'ing. Basic stuff other than that.

Pray for dry!!!