paleoflor

Identification Posting For The Uninitiated 2.0: ANSWERING Fossil ID Requests: (NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ)

frankh8147
12 hours ago, JPinNh said:

As a casual observer of human nature and how people interact with each other i'm betting the odds are that more than one member has looked at a question they knew the answer to and instead of piping up they clicked onward. Its not an accusation or belittling its just how it is anywhere. People are just people.  This withholding does not in any way make the person negative, bad, or selfish it makes them human. See my meaning?

I guess it happens but it's definitely not frequent here. I love nailing a tough ID and based on the answers I've received on my own tougher ID's, I can say with certainty that this community thinks the same.

At least 3-4 times a year, I put up something up on fossilID that ends up being pretty much nothing (I might be going easy on myself saying only 3-4 times a year) and have NEVER heard a negative comment about it. On the flip side of the coin, most of my finds which really ended up being something special started right here in the fossils ID section with ID's from TFF members.

Just be ready to learn and apply that knowledge to your next fossil hunting trip and you will do great!

-Frank H

Harry Pristis
6 hours ago, JPinNh said:

As a casual observer of human nature and how people interact with each other i'm betting the odds are that more than one member has looked at a question they knew the answer to and instead of piping up they clicked onward. Its not an accusation or belittling its just how it is anywhere. People are just people.  This withholding does not in any way make the person negative, bad, or selfish it makes them human. See my meaning?

And this is how you define "selfishly guarding their knowledge."?  It's informative to see how flexible are your observations of human nature.

Uncle Siphuncle

There was a time I used to try to greet every new member and answer as many questions as I could.  That was 10 years ago, when the board was small.  Now the board is simply too big to keep up with.  These days I pop in multiple times a day, sometimes for only a minute or 2 at a time, scanning for just is what of highest personal interest, which often results in my attempts to share knowledge, other times to consume it.

Sharing of most knowledge, such as IDs, strat column discussion, or prep techniques, doesn't really diminish the value of that knowledge, at least for me.  But it does cost time to convey, time that I don't always have for the Forum, as dividing my time is always an exercise in opportunity cost.  I'm not always in a position to turn a 2 minute drive-by into a 20 minute info dump, particularly when at work.

"Where did you find that" lines of questioning have the potential to diminish site value, if answered, so I tend to dodge those discussions in front of an audience of 50K+.  Sometimes I'll answer via PM, sometimes not.  Depends on a number of factors.  That's just basic, responsible site stewardship.