Hi all! 

Here is a reconstruction of Berthasaura leopoldinae I created! 
I've always been super excited by new discoveries.

BERTHASAURA LEOPOLDINAE.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Hello Alex - WOW! Superb reconstruction you created!  Would you mind sharing how you went about creating this amazing masterpiece?  

Is it digital, only?

is it 3D printed?

The detail on each bone is so incredible which would make me guess that you didn't craft each bone by hand. 

So please spill the beans.  Some measurements and or closeup shots would also be nice. 

Steve

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SPrice said:

Hello Alex - WOW! Superb reconstruction you created!  Would you mind sharing how you went about creating this amazing masterpiece?  

Is it digital, only?

is it 3D printed?

The detail on each bone is so incredible which would make me guess that you didn't craft each bone by hand. 

So please spill the beans.  Some measurements and or closeup shots would also be nice. 

Steve

Thank you so much for the kind words, it means a lot! This is version 2!  I created my first sculpt of Berthasaura early last year and thought I could improve on it this year! A few museums have the previous version in their collections.

It is digitally sculpted and 3D printed. It prints at 1 meter in length. 

Each bone is in fact sculpted individually, I utilised the info on Research Gate to inform the majority. I had to use some artistic license here and there however for the general shape of each bone used the images of the fossils themselves. I don't like to use symmetry on my sculpting programme, so once the basics are blocked in, I work on every bone as their own sculpt.  Here is a video of some of the process, I'll get some close up images for you once V2 is printed!

Thank you for taking the time to check out my work! I'll be uploading some more sculpts soon!

Edited by Alex92
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 2

incredible work... :notworthy:

something I will never be able to do... :Smiling:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

In my professional career in graphics design, owning a print shop, Ad Agency work, newspaper production, pre-press departments in commercial printshops, and on and on...I was fortunate to step in during the last of linotype and letterpress, operate 20 foot long Commodore film cameras which could shoot 24 X 30 film negatives, and witness the birth of the Macintosh computers.  We all said at the beginning while looking through our 10X loupes....nahh...this is so rastered it looks like stairs going around every letter. Not long after that - mid to late 1980's those same first Mac's upgraded. We saw the end and the beginning of the change in graphic arts. 

So what I see Alex doing digitally in his software programs is not really a surprise but a part of the evolution of those first Macs and PCs.  My son has two 3D printers and I have had him print me a couple of Meg teeth for fun.

But WOW! still stands, Alex. Amazing talent, amazing results.  Keep 'em coming. 

BTW -I looked up Alex Pritchard, Devon UK...I kept getting the footballer.:DOH: I'm assuming that he's not you. lol!

• Enjoyed 2

2 hours ago, rocket said:

incredible work... :notworthy:

something I will never be able to do... :Smiling:

Thank you so much! 

2 hours ago, SPrice said:

In my professional career in graphics design, owning a print shop, Ad Agency work, newspaper production, pre-press departments in commercial printshops, and on and on...I was fortunate to step in during the last of linotype and letterpress, operate 20 foot long Commodore film cameras which could shoot 24 X 30 film negatives, and witness the birth of the Macintosh computers.  We all said at the beginning while looking through our 10X loupes....nahh...this is so rastered it looks like stairs going around every letter. Not long after that - mid to late 1980's those same first Mac's upgraded. We saw the end and the beginning of the change in graphic arts. 

So what I see Alex doing digitally in his software programs is not really a surprise but a part of the evolution of those first Macs and PCs.  My son has two 3D printers and I have had him print me a couple of Meg teeth for fun.

But WOW! still stands, Alex. Amazing talent, amazing results.  Keep 'em coming. 

BTW -I looked up Alex Pritchard, Devon UK...I kept getting the footballer.:DOH: I'm assuming that he's not you. lol!

Wow that sounds like quite the career you have had! Sometimes you can't beat traditional media. The digital processes are brilliant, but sometimes there is something lacking in the final products! 

3D printing is really changing things up in the fossil world. It's amazing how far the tech has come along already.

You won't find me under my name unfortunately - I use Dinosauria_Studio on social media to show my work. Alex Pritchard didn't sound as cool 😅

I'm also one of the sculptors for the Dinosaur toy company Rebor! :)

I've got more reconstructions to share so I'll post an update on here when I've posted them :)

• Enjoyed 2

Wow, great work!  You're a master at this.  I'm looking forward to seeing this get 3d printed

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

4 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Wow, great work!  You're a master at this.  I'm looking forward to seeing this get 3d printed

Thank you so much for the kind words!

• Enjoyed 1