Been Wanting One Of These For The Longest Time!

fossilcrazy

I've seen friends buy these and have been admittedly jealous. Some good ones have come up and I never felt that I could ever afford one.

If I waited until I could "afford" one I'd never get one. Soooooooooo, I got myself a Christmas present. Don't ask how much, I won't admit to it.

For those that don't recognize what it is, it is a Precambrian Metazoan fossil called Dickinsonia costata. The fossil is over 560 million years old.

This one is 9 cm by 13 cm and the best I'll ever be able to get my hands on. :D Big grin on my face! Love it.

post-296-0-42844700-1386951980_thumb.jpg post-296-0-06076300-1386952672_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilcrazy

That is an absolutely superb specimen :wub:

Congratulations!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good for you!

We can't find every fossil we want for our collection and have to purchase but that can also be a hunt in itself.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Oh those old things, we just pave our walk way with them cause we find so many...ya right! Congrates on your new acquisition. I hope you're happy now.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I know nothing about that time period, where was it found?----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

:wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The lithology is reminiscent of the Dickinsonia costata from the White Sea Region of Russia. Congrats on this amazing large example! :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The lithology is reminiscent of the Dickinsonia costata from the White Sea Region of Russia. Congrats on this amazing large example! :fistbump:

You are correct piranha. The three hot spots for Precambrian Metazoans are quite different in appearance. Mistaken Point looks like Green Argillaceous Quartzite, Flinders Range looks like Pink to Tan Quartzite and White Sea looks like neutral Gray Quartzite.

• I found this Informative 1

It's a beauty! Congratulations! I didn't know what it was and read online that most think it was animal,

others think fungal..

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on a beautiful speciman! Presevation is superb for Precambrian. Great acquisition! That we don't know more about what they were only increases the facination.

How did you run across that? I have seen them on ebay and they go for a pretty penny there, but none have been quite as good as yours, so I hate to think of that you paid for it (If it's about what I think it is, I'll never be able to afford it myself, but if it was a bargain it means I missed out and I will have to be satisfied with the Nemianas I recently bought!)

How did you run across that? I have seen them on ebay and they go for a pretty penny there, but none have been quite as good as yours, so I hate to think of that you paid for it (If it's about what I think it is, I'll never be able to afford it myself, but if it was a bargain it means I missed out and I will have to be satisfied with the Nemianas I recently bought!)

The fossil was an Ebay "Buy-it-Now", and I pounced on it. It just so happens that Nemiana was the first Russian PreCambrian fossil I bought. The organism is a bit of a mystery too; but then you could say that about all the Ediacarans.

BTW, I have not forgotten I owe you a Plumalina. While looking through my stash, there were just big blocks. I need to saw cut the rock down, so as not to pay for too much rock weight.

Santa will be a little late. :)

Edited by fossilcrazy

OK, No worries! I have that same problem with some of my trading material - need a saw...

Most things I think are overpriced, at least for my budget, but sometimes you have to pounce on those buy-it-nows. That one probably wouldn't have lasted at any price..

Gorgeous! Congrats!I have not really seen any in that splendid condition. Amazing a soft bodied fauna can leave behind such a striking fossil.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Somewhere on the remote coast of Russia's White Sea is the other piece of my Kimberella. If anyone sees it please let me know. The complete fossil would look oh so good reunited. This is one of the most detailed Kimberellas I have seen.

post-296-0-58481700-1387828960_thumb.jpg post-296-0-15699200-1387828988_thumb.jpg post-296-0-44938800-1387829317_thumb.jpg