Perfectly Preserved Miocene Wood

PRK

The preservation is imaculate, the interior of the swollen section of the specimen looks interesting.

That is beautiful! I love pet wood. It is so perfectly preserved that it looks like a resin cast or something. Is there anyway to tell what kind of wood it is?

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I'm totally unfamiliar with fossils from volcanic origins. They are so light colored. What were they mineralized with? By "preserved in ash" do you mean they were found in hardened ash?

Looks like the dry wood laying around everywhere today, amazing preservation!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 2 months later...

That is awesome preservation! I have grained pet wood, but those pieces are sweet!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Hey Paul, those are some amazingly detailed specimens. They do look fairly fragile...are they solid heavy pieces? Regards, Chris

Yes, they are quite solid. just super well preserved

Edited by PRK

Yes, they are quite solid. just super well preserved

Paul, Very nice. Did they require much prep or were pretty clean surface finds?

I peaked at a number of ash layers in and around northern Napa and Sonoma counties in CA years ago and was in more of the glassy course material most of the time with inclusions of pumice and obsidian--I did find a few pieces of wood in creekbeds but never found anything consistently. Dang, I knew there was wood stuff there just couldnt find the source if it still existed and was exposed. The Famous Calistoga Petrified forest is closeby so the geology/replacement process was probably similar just couldnt find it.

Lucky you to have the Oregon volcanic ashes to poke around in!!

Regards, Chris

• 2 months later...