Herb

I found this on the Alabama river a couple years ago, still trying to ID it. Paleogene, Claiborne group, Lisbon formation. Not a "one -of " obviously. Can't find it in any of my references, any help would be appreciated.

post-2520-0-10812700-1391289758_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Herb,

I think what you have is Bullia altilis subglobosa (Conrad, 1832). For a reference check K.V.W. Palmer, Bulletins of American Paleontology, Vol. 7, 1937 Plate 39 and 40. It is available on-line. Also, check L.D. Toulmin, "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region", Geological Survey of Alabama, Monogtraph 13, 1977. I'm not sure it is available on-line or not.

The B. altilis subglobosa may be difficult to differentiate from the B. altilis. Toumlin says the B. altilis only ranges from the upper Claiborne through the Jackson stage.

I hope this helps.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

thanks Jim, I think you got it. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks