Nautiloid?

Bgoods55

One of my favs!
Still cant figure out what time period comes out of kemp, tx. Anyone know a good tx geologic map, other than ones specific to dallas/ft, worth area?

post-14381-0-24864500-1391810296_thumb.jpg

post-14381-0-90547100-1391810301_thumb.jpg

post-14381-0-37598500-1391810347_thumb.jpg

could be eutrephoceras dekayi from near the type locality of the kemp fm, about 65-66 mya. this form ranged lower in section as well in the older fms extending west of kemp.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's what i'm talkin about erose! That's officially my new map. It's showing the area I found it in as Kemp Clay and Corsicana Marl. Possibly Midway as well, the location is right on that line.

It looks different than the Eutrephoceras I'm familiar with. The sutures curve near the umbilicus on this specimen.

nice specimen!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Definitely not Eutrephoceras. The suture line of Eutrephoceras is remarkably straight, and (as Al Dente notes) the suture of this specimen is strongly curved, especially in the umbilical region. It may be a Kummeloceras, Angulithites, or similar genus.

North American Late Cretaceous nautiloids have not been studied in a long time, and I suspect there is more diversity than is generally recognized.

Don

i think nautiloids are underdescribed in tx as well. always good to see something outside the norm. i should review my upper k nautiloids...i have them from many formations.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's what i'm talkin about erose! That's officially my new map. It's showing the area I found it in as Kemp Clay and Corsicana Marl. Possibly Midway as well, the location is right on that line.

It has been a long time since I poked around the Midway Group. But remember if it is Midway it is not Cretaceous. It is Paleocene. A long time ago we found a quarry with a bunch of nautiloids in the Wills Point area. I believe those guys were examples of a nautiloid called, Enclimatoceras ulrichi. I have slept a lot since then, so I could be wrong. But please have a search on that and see if it is close.

Yes vertman. I have been doing research on both formations and just discovered that Midway is Paleocene. It has peaked my curiosity as to which one this specimen belongs to, the map puts it right on the borderline between the two, I mean exactly on the border line. I've got a bunch of shark teeth from the same spot. If I posted a picture of the kind of rock around it would you be able to give an accurate guess?

And thank you all for responding, i'm learning a lot from your feedback.

Yes vertman. I have been doing research on both formations and just discovered that Midway is Paleocene. It has peaked my curiosity as to which one this specimen belongs to, the map puts it right on the borderline between the two, I mean exactly on the border line. I've got a bunch of shark teeth from the same spot. If I posted a picture of the kind of rock around it would you be able to give an accurate guess?

And thank you all for responding, i'm learning a lot from your feedback.

If you found any ammonite remains, even fragments that would help a lot. There is an ammonite found in the uppermost Cretaceous in that area, a nice flat ammonite called Sphenodiscus. Even still if you are looking in a quarry sometimes they dig right through the Paleocene and expose the upper most Cretaceous on the floor of the quarry. I am not sure if I could tell you formation based on images of the rock. I would like to see it though so please do.

If you found any ammonite remains, even fragments that would help a lot. There is an ammonite found in the uppermost Cretaceous in that area, a nice flat ammonite called Sphenodiscus. Even still if you are looking in a quarry sometimes they dig right through the Paleocene and expose the upper most Cretaceous on the floor of the quarry. I am not sure if I could tell you formation based on images of the rock. I would like to see it though so please do.

While I am thinking about it...if it is a quarry it is most likely a limestone quarry where they are removing a Paleocene aged limestone called the Tehuacana formation. It is a white to yellow-orange limestone with literally millions of gastropods, pelecypods, etc. in it. In the quarries in that area and slanting all the way down into Limestone County there is a clay layer that sets atop the limestone. It is called the Wills Point formation. It contains a lot of shark teeth, very small fossil crabs from a wide range of species, nautiloids, and various other goodies. Hope that helps...

• I found this Informative 1

The location is an old quarry and yes millions of gastropods and bivalves but the rock is almost a pinkish color.

I would bet it is Tehuacana Limestone. If you have a geologic map, find the Paleocene outcrop belt around Mexia in Limestone county. Then you can trace that to the northeast into the Wills Point area and then also a bit to the southwest. I found one of the nautiloids I collected years ago. I will try to get an image of it. The problem is I have it in a riker mount on my fossil room wall and I have dozens of mounts "interlocked" on the wall. I will try to photo through the glass. Otherwise I would have to take down dozens of rikers.