Mosasaur (The Return)

KansasFossilHunter

Hey guys, right now I'm out in Western Kansas doing some hunting. I thought I'd share with you a picture of my work today:

post-6661-0-01652100-1392944735_thumb.jpg

It was hard to take a picture in the sun. Came in almost one piece cracked on the way to the car but should be easily repairable.

Here is the other dent. to this specimen:

post-6661-0-56516000-1392944820_thumb.jpg

-Kris (KansasFossilHunter)

Edited by KansasFossilHunter

killer Kris, congrats :faint:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Awesome. Really can't see it in the top photo. You must have quite the eye. Finding just one worn tooth here is an event. Your specimen is amazing! Big congrats.

Both bottom jaws, nearly perfect, and nothing else? Doesn't that just stink?

You know the rest of that critter had to be around there somewhere.

Looks like the weather was nice out west. This morning we had thunder, followed by rain, then a blizzard and finally 60mph winds and sunshine to finish the day!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Both bottom jaws, nearly perfect, and nothing else? Doesn't that just stink?

You know the rest of that critter had to be around there somewhere.

Looks like the weather was nice out west. This morning we had thunder, followed by rain, then a blizzard and finally 60mph winds and sunshine to finish the day!

Ramo

I didn't explore around too much- who knows. You were right about the weather, incredibly windy and nasty morning snow.

The fossil magnet strikes again! :envy::1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Well done, Kris!

:popcorn:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks all :)

The chalk had several fractures running through it so sadly, it broke into 3 pieces. Does anybody have any recommendations for the glue?

Chris, Probably would have been a good candidate for a jacket, but I'm sure you will do fine. Just take your time. You might want to get ahold of paleobond. You can call them and they will be happy to send you all kinds of info, and you used to be able to get their (sample) kit. I would try whatever glue you get on some fish parts before I commit to that jaw.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thank you, Ramo! I'll get ahold of some more paleo-bond. I used some a long time ago and it's all dried up.

• 1 month later...

Update: This specimen has made me want to pull out my hair several times. The first time I tried to reunite the pieces, they promptly cracked back apart again. I used a new scraper tool to lighten up the chunks and began to stabilize. I soon discovered I was inches from total disaster- the back side was riddled with small fractures.

Today, I've almost finished bringing the pieces back together. The progress should accelerate and there should be some sweet results to share with you soon!

Picture:I found vertical gluing worked better because gravity was bring the pieces together (not twisting them apart)

post-6661-0-50884100-1396393373_thumb.jpg

-Kris (KansasFossilHunter)