Long Bone More Simi Valley Ca

cowgirlfossils

This bone was so fragile there was no getting it out in one piece. So..I can't do any other pictures...it is what it is.

Super soft sand and most likely has been dozed over a few times. Figure you pros may recognize it...

It is about 7" long north Simi Valley hills Pliocene. Thanks ahead of time!

post-4921-0-52426200-1396372136_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-20643800-1396372213_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-81625600-1396372264_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-89940800-1396372359_thumb.jpg

Looks like a large bird humerus. That's in the size range of boobies and gannets, but a bit small for anything like an albatross.

It is quite slender for its length, and very straight, which suggests to me that it is from a Procellariiform seabird. The length falls into the gap between that of the large shearwaters and the small albatrosses, so I don't know what to suggest for an ID beyond that.

This is an interesting fossil! Can you consolidate it, along with a bed of sand, in place with a flood of maybe Paleobond, essentially creating a matrix piece of it and its stray bits?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I went back up for it today and it didn't survive the rain last night. Just fell to pieces. Next time I will go more prepared to remove after being bonded as you suggest. Sorry. There will be more! Seems there are larger bird bones on this east side of pit and smaller on the west side.