Permian Of Kansas, Brachs, Crinoids, And Weirdness

Ramo

Yesterday the weather was unseasonably nice, and I had a little time while traveling through the flint hills of Kansas to do a little fossil hunting with my youngest daughter. I was hoping to get over to hunt in the KC area, but didn't make it that far. (Sorry Bullsnake) We hunted a small exposure of a grey exposure made almost entirely of fossils. Maily millions of tiny fusulinids. I also found a few plates from spiny urchins, crinoid pieces, brachs, and some other stuff. (I'm very poor on my knowledge of the Permian of Kansas.) Anyways here are a few pictures of our hunt. I find the two things at the bottom of the penny to be kind of exciting. I have no idea what they are, but they look cool! Any help on an ID of these things would be appreciated.

Ramo

(I also added a cool picture of a small T-Rex I came across here the other day hunting my local cretaceous rocks. I had a nice find that day, but an waiting on some further prep to revel what I brought home that day.)

post-40-0-30846100-1404400323_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-12122400-1404400339_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-67466600-1404400357_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-42143300-1404400368_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-18683700-1404400417_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Very interesting pieces, I know very little of the Permian of Kansas. I do have some similar material I got at an auction and it was my understanding that the collector visited Kansas and Oklahoma quite often. I wonder if he collect your areas.

Jim

Very neat finds! The crinoid plate with the ridges on the inside is real interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Cool stuff, I love that "little T-Rex". Can't wait to hear what the Cretaceous find was.

Crinoid 1, Is that what those two little plates are below the penny? My little brother found a very cool blastoid at this location about 15 years ago. That's what I was hoping to find, but didn't have any luck.

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

Yup! Those are both crinoid plates. I don't think I can ID them any further. Permian blastoids are quite rare from the US. Your brother is quite lucky!

I like crinoids......

The crinoid plate on the left is a partial Anal sack spine I beleive. And the other is real similar to ones I find here in central TX in the Penn.

The crinoid plate on the left is a partial Anal sack spine I beleive. And the other is real similar to ones I find here in central TX in the Penn.

I just noticed in your paper plate picture you have what I am talking about in the middle upper right area.

their, I'm guessing you are talking about the tear-drop shaped thingy. I thought that is what that was.

jpc, Collared lizards are fairly common from the flinthills and on west in rocky areas. We also have a lot of Texas Horned-lizards as well. That collared lizard was one of the most colorful I've came across.

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

No I did not Marco Sr. I did think of you however. There is so much tiny stuff there, but not super tiny like you are used to looking for. If you would like a bag of this matrix sent, I would be happy to stop and get you a bag next time I am in the area.

Ramo

-Aldo Leopold

No I did not Marco Sr. I did think of you however. There is so much tiny stuff there, but not super tiny like you are used to looking for. If you would like a bag of this matrix sent, I would be happy to stop and get you a bag next time I am in the area.

Ramo

Ramo

Thank you. PM sent.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

That's a very rich looking formation. Do you know it's name? Love the urchin spines and I recognize the anal spine too. Like Thair said they look exactly the same here in Texas Pennsylvanian, but the inside of my crinoid plates are always smooth. The shape is just like yours though.

Nice finds, Ramo!

We probably passed each other on the highway at some point. ^_^

It's frustrating to drive along eyeballing all those nice exposures and unable to stop.

As others have stated, the fauna looks pretty much like the Penn. stuff arownd here, but by your pictures it appears the echinoid parts may be a little more prevalent there.

Steve