Corals From The Rockies

BSE

Hi folks,

given by a friend with a box of fossils, I have this piece to identify.

As written on the back it comes from Parker Ridge, Mt. Athabasca, Banff National Park, Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada.
Geological Layer: Palliser Formation, Upper Devon

Measure is 2.75 x 2.75 in.

Have got someone an idea what kind of coral it is?

Best regards from Germany,

Bernd

post-11799-0-37091200-1422306543_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-37091200-1422306543_thumb.jpg

post-11799-0-17111700-1422306558_thumb.jpg

BSE,

I can't see enlargement of top photos. However, the coral on the left side of the top photo looks similar to Thamnopora, a common Devonian tabulate coral in the US.

Look at Geological Survey of Canada Bulletin 110 by Mountjoy for further information on fossils in the Park. http://parkscanadahistory.com/geology/bulletin-110.pdf

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree with the suggestion of Thamnopora for the coral with many obvious small corallites. I have similar material from correlated rocks in the Yukon and Arizona. I don't have an ID off the top of my head for the other species.

I assume you are aware that it is highly illegal to remove anything from a Canadian National Park without permits, which are rarely given and then only in the case of legitimate geological research. Any specimens that are removed must be deposited in an established research collection, they remain the property of Parks Canada, and they must be made available to qualified researchers when needed for future research projects. Removal of anything from a National Park without permits is subject to a $10,000 fine, imprisonment for up to 10 years, and potentially (I assume if they catch someone in the act) forfeiture of any vehicles, equipment, etc used to commit the crime. On the other hand there is some old material in circulation that was collected before the park was established about 100 years ago, and this would be legal to sell but should be properly documented.

Don

If you can repost the first two pics it would surely help with the ID. Thamnopora looks like a good fit for the coral with the many openings but I'd like to see the whole piece better. The back side appears to have some horn corals but I can't tell what kind.

Here is a piece of the Arizona material that Don was mentioning: Click Here

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Thanks for your help and the interesting links.

I know it is forbidden to collect fossils and shark teeth in National Parks in Canada and the USA. I can understand that you should not dig big holes and pits in the ground, destroying nature. But to pick up pieces laying around, washed out by the rain should be allowed.

In Germany in most regions noone would say anything if you pick up fossils although every fossil or tooth and bone belongs to the state. And you should present them to the departments that they can decide if it is of national interest, as a piece of culture.

In some areas it is forbidden to search with metal detectors because of the romanic and celtic remains.

And "unfortunately" most of the former quarries who were rich of minerals and fossils are now biotops and geotops, protected by law, mostly shut by high fences and big gates.

You can be assured that I don't trade this piece, it will stay as part of my collection.

It is an old finding, I don't know exactly how old, but from our childhood back in the 1970s. Someone in the family must have been in Canada then.

Okay, back at home I try to repost the pics. No idea why you can't enlarge the top one...

Best regards,

Bernd

Edited by BSE

Hello from Alberta, Canada. I grew up in the town of Jasper, in Jasper National Park and have skied Parker's Ridge near Mt. Athabasca. This is IN Jasper National Park, not Banff National Park which is further to the south. You CANNOT pick up any stone or plant in the National Park. They won't even allow a local micro brewery to ship beer outside of the park because the water comes from inside the Park. Frustrating yes. I hope to go see some trilobites later this spring in the Celestine Lake area but that endeavor also means photos only and no removal of the fossils. Enjoy what you have now! They are great finds.

Grant