N Sulphur River Today....fish, Mosasaur Help

John S.

Well the river was way high but I managed to find a few things. This fish head is it X-Fish? The odd shaped bone, a mosasaur scapula or other part? Thanks for input.

post-13580-0-30447600-1425772067_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Fish: Dang so close

Mossie vert Globidens.

Edited by bone2stone

Thanks a lot guys! Do we know which fish it is?

North Central Texas

Can we tell species of fish?

North Central Texas

Really nice finds, John. The bone in post #2 & #3 looks more like a mosasaur radius based on its size and shape. They can be diagnostic to genus level...yours looks like a Platecarpus (or maybe Clidastes). For a 'must' reference, you can find an online copy of Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosasaurs using a forum search.

Fish: Dang so close

Mossie vert Globidens.

Jess, I've found...many...mosasaur vertebrae. :) What diagnostic features do you see in John's vertebra that specifically indicate to you it is a Globidens vertebra? That info may help me make some judgments about my own specimens.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with John on the Mos. verts. I have found a looooot of Mos. verts in the Sulphur, wish someone would publish something on how to identify then to specific reptile if that is even possible. The fish skull is awesome, there again with so many modern fish in the sea, back in the day I am sure there was a great diversity as well. I label mine as bony fish, there again don't know if a justifiable ID could be attached. Nice finds found in the cold weather----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Great information as always, thanks alot!

North Central Texas

Really nice finds, John. The bone in post #2 & #3 looks more like a mosasaur radius based on its size and shape. They can be diagnostic to genus level...yours looks like a Platecarpus (or maybe Clidastes). For a 'must' reference, you can find an online copy of Russell's Systematics and Morphology of American Mosasaurs using a forum search.

Jess, I've found...many...mosasaur vertebrae. :) What diagnostic features do you see in John's vertebra that specifically indicate to you it is a Globidens vertebra? That info may help me make some judgments about my own specimens.

Sorry, the only diagnostics used is memory of articulated verts and skull I assisted in excavating. (mid 80's)

Some knowledge from different finds of my own.

But just to make sure lets see some more pics of that vert.

both ends and sides.

Jess B.

I assume we are discussing the large vert?

post-13580-0-91228400-1425865006_thumb.jpg

North Central Texas

Sorry, the only diagnostics used is memory of articulated verts and skull I assisted in excavating. (mid 80's)

Some knowledge from different finds of my own.

But just to make sure lets see some more pics of that vert.

both ends and sides.

Jess B.

Thanks, Jess. Still, to call it one genus over another, I know you have to be seeing particular things that separate it from the others. If there are some keys to mosasaur vertebra identification, then save me a seat in class. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ