Great Plains Dinosaur Museum - Dig Programs

Opisthotriton

Hello everyone,

If you will be traveling through Montana this summer, you are invited to visit the Great Plains Dinosaur Museum in Malta, Montana, part of the Montana Dinosaur Trail. The museum has many great dinosaur exhibits including a real articulated Brachylophosaurus duck-billed dinosaur skeleton and the skull and neck of a new species of sauropod. We are also the home of the famous "Leonardo" dinosaur mummy specimen (currently on tour at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis, but we have an impressive 3-D printed replica and lots of informational displays).

The Great Plains Dinosaur Museum also offers dinosaur dig programs for adults and children 11 and older, as well as Junior Paleo Digs and Lab programs. Please visit our website for details on our programs, dates, and rates. http://www.greatplainsdinosaurs.org/index.php/museum-programs/adult-field-experience

This summer the Great Plains Dinosaur Museum will be partnering with the Two Medicine Dinosaur Center for our adult dino digs to excavate a Triceratops skeleton south of Malta in the Hell Creek Formation. We are hoping to find the skull this year! The specimen is being collected on private land, and all material collected is donated to the Great Plains Dinosaur Museum for research and display.

I will be working at the Great Plains Dinosaur Museum all summer, so I hope some Fossil Forum members will come by to say hello! No matter where your travels take you, I hope you have a great paleo-filled summer!

• I found this Informative 1

I recommend this place if anyone is in the neighborhood. Part of the beauty of this area is that northern MT really is off the beaten path.

Thanks JP! Yes, if you like open fields as far as the eye can see, and pronghorn "antelope", it's a beautiful drive. Malta also has the Bowdoin Wildlife Refuge right outside of town, where you can see white pelicans nesting. I'm just waiting for a sunny day off so I can visit the pelicans; I've been excited to see the pelican island since Jack Horner described it in his Digging Dinosaurs book as a modern comparison for the Maiasaura nesting grounds in Choteau.