New Horse Tail Find

gobbler716

Here is a photo of a recent find in the Cahaba Valley. The photo was submitted to the University of Alabama and it was identified as another horsetail find. It's rather delicate and I have yet to see another one like it.

post-10711-0-21636500-1434516518_thumb.jpg

Edited by gobbler716

Sorry, but I can't make out anything on the blurry picture. :(

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This is a nice tiny whorl of Annularia, but I'm not sure which species. The leaves are really small, like in A. galioides and A. sphenophylloides, but both these species have different (broader or more bluntly terminating) leaf shapes.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks. I see more clearly how the paleo guy at Alabama identified this as a horsetail.

No, that was all of the answer to my question. Did you have a different opinion? I appreciate 2nd opinions.

No, that was all of the answer to my question. Did you have a different opinion? I appreciate 2nd opinions.

Nope, just curious if there were any other details provided. Tim (paleoflor) is an expert and knows his stuff...I'm just a duffer! no 2nd opinion needed...agree..

Cool bitty one. Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

That is awesome. I would love to find some stuff like that. I started a few horse tails growing in my back yard a few years ago. They are just managing without any care. Would love to get some ferns and other stuff growing around the area to give it a prehistoric look.

Robert
Southeast, MO

What a cool little fossil!

post-423-0-88997400-1435625185_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Reading in Remy and Remy 1977 (Die Floren des Erdaltertums, Verlag Glückauf GmbH, Essen) I came across a species that may be interesting to compare your fossil with, namely Annularia microphylla Sauveur 1848. EDIT: also see this link.

Edited by paleoflor

Searching for green in the dark grey.