Peace River Poached Eggs

old bones

This unusual specimen was found in the latest batch of Sacha's Peace River matrix. It is the only one like it in 2 gallons of matrix.

The way it seems to originate around a grain of sand puts me in mind of the bryozoa Schizorthosecos sp., but the texture is all wrong.

Any ideas?

post-13648-0-35732700-1436713477_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

looks like a phosphate nodule to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Very interesting! The side view reminds me of the surface texture I have found on many spiral marine coprolites from the Eagle Ford Formation. Obviously, yours is on a much smaller scale. I have attached a couple photos taken at 20X magnification (measures approx. 1cm across the field of view). I agree with Auspex, they do look phosphatic. What ever it is, it is very cool! What a fun find!

post-17480-0-83927300-1436749009_thumb.jpg

post-17480-0-34693500-1436749067_thumb.jpg

Is it about 7 in hardness? If so it might be a "desert rose" of chalcedony.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm late responding to this, but thanks to all that gave an opinion. abyssunder, I like your suggestion. My item very much resembles the images in your link. It's the first time I've found anything like it. I do like the patterns on beekite. :)

I was going to say aglomerating type forams before I saw abyssunder's link, am still on the fence though if those are mm scale

This unusual specimen was found in the latest batch of Sacha's Peace River matrix. It is the only one like it in 2 gallons of matrix.

The way it seems to originate around a grain of sand puts me in mind of the bryozoa Schizorthosecos sp., but the texture is all wrong.

Any ideas?

attachicon.gifPR2-poached-eggs.jpg

Very nice image, Julianna; especially given the size. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was going to say aglomerating type forams before I saw abyssunder's link, am still on the fence though if those are mm scale

Yes, those are mm. Did you have a particular species in mind?

Very nice image, Julianna; especially given the size. :)

Thank you JohnJ. :)

Beekites are a form of chalcedony as are Desert Roses. Silica in near surface groundwater creates these small rosettes (including the size range of yours) that form on and replace the carbonates of fossils. Silica replaces fossils in Florida. Search for photos of the fossil coral from Tampa Bay, Florida that are replaced by bubbly chalcedony. See pictures of Beekite that replaces fossils possibly from Florida: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/23604-what-is-the-true-name-of-these/page-2

Do some simple tests on your samples. See if they fizz in dilute HCl. I'll bet that they are not calcareous and will not fizz. Find out their hardness. I'll bet that they are about a 7 and will scratch Florida limestone. Another clue... they look waxy and translucent in places... which are qualities of chalcedony and not forams.

If you come to the Southwest, you can collect giant versions of these, chalcedony Desert Roses that are found in silica rich volcanic rocks.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Beekites--something new I've learned today.

Came across this interesting page following the link above from abyssunder: http://www2.newark.ohio-state.edu/facultystaff/personal/jstjohn/Documents/Cool-fossils/Replacement.htm

A useful page with information (and nice photos) explaining the different forms of replacement preservation in fossils--and with large enough print that I don't even need my glasses to read it. :blink:

Cheers.

-Ken