Pennsylvanian - Northeastern Ohio - Fossil Wood?

saysac

Looks more like ripple marks to Me, the type that You see in a shore line. Definitely not wood.

Tony

PS I guess I was wrong. I still do not see wood but the others are saying it is.

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Looks like wood pieces that I've collected from Mazon Creek. I'll agree with wood.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Definitely wood. Not sure what kind. Sigillaria maybe?

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Yes, Rockwood, I think 'bark impression' is what I mean.

Would I be wrong to suggest that you are using the term wood perhaps a bit loosely here ?

I agree, the term wood is too generic for this time period, as no "wood" as we know it now existed yet. We know what is meant by the term wood, but newer and younger people would be getting confusing information installed in their inner computer storage device, we used to call it the Brain.

If this doesn't make sense, it's early yet. B)

I totally agree that it is plant material. You can see the coalified layer that represents the periderm (or whatever...) very clearly.

• I found this Informative 1

Perhaps Cordaites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cordaites bark? That would make sense. Sherry has found a lot of Cordaites leaves at her location.

[...] no "wood" as we know it now existed yet. [...]

I'd say Dadoxylon-type woods come pretty close! Regarding the specimen at hand, I think it's too poorly preserved to allow confident identification.

• I found this Informative 3

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Sorry, I should have separated the two statements more clearly. Dadoxylon is a form genus for structurally preserved wood of unknown affinity (i.e. petrifactions preserving the wood cell structure). I mentioned the genus only in reply to the text that I quoted, basically to say that there definitely are Carboniferous woods.

Your specimen, however, cannot be classified as Dadoxylon, for it lacks the structural preservation necessary for such a thing. When it comes to the specimen at hand, I'd stick with an epithet along the lines of "compression fossil of unidentified stem". Compression fossils of stems/woods are quite difficult to classify reliably (well, at least I find it difficult to do), as all you have is the external morphology, which in this case shows few usable characteristics (I wish it showed a couple Cordaicladus-scars or something!)

• I found this Informative 2

Rockwood, what would you say it is?

Is rock and coal. Was plant material. It appears to me that wood has no scientific meaning.

Yes, Rockwood, I think 'bark impression' is what I mean.

I'm fairly sure bark is just plain incorrect. As I understand it lycopod periderm is a living photosynthetic tissue. Bark is neither.

[...] I'm fairly sure bark is just plain incorrect. As I understand it lycopod periderm is a living photosynthetic tissue. Bark is neither. [...]

Are you suggesting that the specimen at hand is unquestionably referable to the lycopods?

On a side-note, isn't the term bark rather ambiguous anyway? It sometimes is considered to refer to the combined tissues that occur outside the vascular cambium, which would imply that the phloem is part of the bark. If we accept such a definition, then at least part of the bark would be a living tissue. Your "dead" definition of bark seems to reduce the term to mean rhytidome.

I guess I was the one not quite with the program :shake head:

paleoflor: Thank you for giving me a better way to think of it.

Stocksdale: Please forgive the brashness of my remark.

No worries, Rockwood. Precise terms are sometimes helpful.

Just for kicks, I did find that even noted Paleobotanist Bill DiMichelle uses the term "Bark" when referring to lycopods in some of his scientific papers. Probably not the most precise term, but it works.

He also uses the term "wood" for what grew inside the "bark" :)

Edited by Stocksdale

I'd think the "wood" of Cordaites, Seed Fern and Cycads would look a lot like modern wood, right?

Edited by Stocksdale

Depends on what you mean with modern wood, I guess, but I expect that most people would call the internal structure of the stems of the pteridosperms (e.g. Medullosa, Rhexoxylon) and cycads different from what they consider typical "wood" (similarly, palm wood is also considered atypical). The wood of Cordaites (Cordaixylon, Pennsylvanioxylon and Dadoxylon pro parte) looks quite similar to "wood", I guess, at least at first glance (but do mind the pith, which may have been quite large, considering Artisia-type fossils.)

I'd agree with Rockwood, however, that the term wood is not very useful here (back on topic), for the fossil under discussion lacks any internal wood structure. All we have is an external cast/compression of some layer of tissue (decortication state?) of an unidentified stem. Further identification must be based on characteristics visible on that surface (difficult, if you ask me.)