Mosasaur jaw?

lolman1c

The link was removed from your post. If you wish to illustrate a point with a photo, please post the photo. Links to items on dealer sites are very temporary and render any discussion about the item meaningless in the future. Thank you. ;)

Excuse my stubbornness, I shall edit it and put a photo in.

Excuse my stubbornness, I shall edit it and put a photo in.

It wasn't his fault tbh... I was asking for good examples.

No fault, no harm, no foul :)

We want to archive the example image; it will be much more useful to future surfers that a broken link ;)

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They 'distress' it, and stain it. One that I checked for a friend smelled of burning hair when probed with a red-hot nail.

Yea, the old 'burn test'. I use it on mammal bones all the time to determine how much collagen is left in the bone. Mosasaur bone won't have any. Unless maybe its been frozen in a glacier....on Mars...

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the whole collecting thing but have seen many of these Mosasaur fabrications (can't call it composite. I'm building a composite Cave Bear paw and using only the correct Cave Bear bones of corresponding size. Preferably from same location. Not modern cow bone), even being sold by top rated sellers! I shudder when I see them because it throws the sellers reputation into question. Do they know its fake? If not, WHY NOT?? But some of these guys are very good and reputable. I think this is the difference between a guy who sells for $ and a guy who honestly has a passion.

I rekon you are better off buying a single tooth in matrix. You can get nice Mosasaur teeth in matrix with bits and pieces of other critters in it. Much cheaper than a real Mosasaur jaw!

PS. I have a friend who insists his totally fake Mosasaur jaw is real because "my daddy bought it for a lot of money in a Moroccan market. It HAS to be real!" These fakes are a real industry...

PPS. Sorry for the long post, I write like I talk. Fast and with little forethought...

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I've got a surprise then.

Here is what looks to be a genuine 9cm section of platecarpus jawbone with one restored tooth

It's slightly over £50, but definitely cheaper than most!

I saw this today when surfing the Prehistoric Web. Looks cool and is from US yea? That makes it even more cool I rekon! Most Mosasaur stuff is Moroccan. We do have Mosasaur remains in my town in Australia but no one I know has ever found any...

- Indiana Jones

I saw this today when surfing the Prehistoric Web. Looks cool and is from US yea? That makes it even more cool I rekon! Most Mosasaur stuff is Moroccan. We do have Mosasaur remains in my town in Australia but no one I know has ever found any...

No one?

How strange...

Yea, the old 'burn test'. I use it on mammal bones all the time to determine how much collagen is left in the bone. Mosasaur bone won't have any. Unless maybe its been frozen in a glacier....on Mars...

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the whole collecting thing but have seen many of these Mosasaur fabrications (can't call it composite. I'm building a composite Cave Bear paw and using only the correct Cave Bear bones of corresponding size. Preferably from same location. Not modern cow bone), even being sold by top rated sellers! I shudder when I see them because it throws the sellers reputation into question. Do they know its fake? If not, WHY NOT?? But some of these guys are very good and reputable. I think this is the difference between a guy who sells for $ and a guy who honestly has a passion.

I rekon you are better off buying a single tooth in matrix. You can get nice Mosasaur teeth in matrix with bits and pieces of other critters in it. Much cheaper than a real Mosasaur jaw!

PS. I have a friend who insists his totally fake Mosasaur jaw is real because "my daddy bought it for a lot of money in a Moroccan market. It HAS to be real!" These fakes are a real industry...

PPS. Sorry for the long post, I write like I talk. Fast and with little forethought...

Actually, people have found collagen in mosasaur fossils, along with imprints of their scales and even their eyes.

[url=http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2011/05/04/4809350.html]http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2011/05/04/4809350.

http://www.icr.org/article/5587/

Edited by Slowpoker

Cool link! I didnt know they found collagen in ANY Cretaceous bones. I doubt there is enough to tell with a burn test.

PS. It smells a little like burnt hair. Mixed with sewage, dung, rotting meat and burnt rubber. I got a large whiff up my nose last time and retched for a good half hr...

Edited by ElToro

- Indiana Jones

No one?

How strange...

Yea, marine reptiles are very rare in our Cretaceous formation. Plesiosaur teeth have been found and unidentified reptile bones but no Mosasaur. The location has 1 species Ichthyosaur, 5 species Plesiosaur and undetermined Mosasaur species.

- Indiana Jones

Yea, marine reptiles are very rare in our Cretaceous formation. Plesiosaur teeth have been found and unidentified reptile bones but no Mosasaur. The location has 1 species Ichthyosaur, 5 species Plesiosaur and undetermined Mosasaur species.

Wow, I never realised Australia would have many marine species.

Next time I go I will be fossil hunting there.

Cool link! I didnt know they found collagen in ANY Cretaceous bones. I doubt there is enough to tell with a burn test.

PS. It smells a little like burnt hair. Mixed with sewage, dung, rotting meat and burnt rubber. I got a large whiff up my nose last time and retched for a good half hr...

That sounds truly revolting!

That sounds truly revolting!

Some of my bones are so fresh I rekon I could make Ursus spelaeus soup from them. But it will probably taste as bad as it smells....

- Indiana Jones

Wow, I never realised Australia would have many marine species.

Next time I go I will be fossil hunting there.

A lot more sharks than reptiles. I guess nothing has changed... Except we learned how to punch sharks. I doubt that would work with a Mosasaur...

- Indiana Jones

A lot more sharks than reptiles. I guess nothing has changed... Except we learned how to punch sharks. I doubt that would work with a Mosasaur...

Yeah, it probably wouldn't :\

Since they are related to snakes and monitor lizards. The best way to wrangle a live mosasaur would probably be grabbing it behind the head so it can't bite you.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Since they are related to snakes and monitor lizards. The best way to wrangle a live mosasaur would probably be grabbing it behind the head so it can't bite you.

I dunno... I've wrangled Aussie goannas (BIG monitors) and its not fun. Especially when you see the bacterial slime oozing from its mouth. Id rather a croc! (Or maybe not, on second thought...)

- Indiana Jones

I shudder when I see them because it throws the sellers reputation into question. Do they know its fake? If not, WHY NOT?? But some of these guys are very good and reputable. I think this is the difference between a guy who sells for $ and a guy who honestly has a passion.

Yeah, I knew what I was buying here and just wanted to know if the teeth was real and people talking about plaster and such threw me off... it's a cheap display piece until I find a piece I really like for the correct price. But the guy selling it does sell any genuine fossils and these seem to be the only ones that have the wrong description... I genuinely think he doesn't know what he is selling.

With the Mosasaur it seems to be popular to take the fossils and place them in a fake matrix

For example:

$_57.JPG

It's hard to find a genuine matrix with other genuine fossils in now... the majority of mine come from my own finds on my travels in Yorkshire.

Edited by lolman1c

With the Mosasaur it seems to be popular to take the fossils and place them in a fake matrix

For example:

It's hard to find a genuine matrix with other genuine fossils in now... the majority of mine come from my own finds on my travels in Yorkshire.

Yea, its nasty. I like the teeth on their own. But I'm not a collector of those sort of teeth so I'm not worried.

- Indiana Jones

For example:

This is an interesting thread. I would be curious to know how others would evaluate the pictured piece. My experience with consolidated, sham matrix from Morocco is the result of the deconstruction of a fake about 15 years ago. That matrix looked finer and much more homogeneous in texture than that pictured. Also, is was extremely hydrophillic and when wet smelled strongly of wet, organic-rich soil; as opposed to stone or sand. I have recently read on the Forum that the "forgers" are now using a less water loving adhesive to consolidate. I wonder if this also has an effect on the typical smell I experienced? At a cursory glance and obviously from a photo alone; I would feel that the pictured object required additional scrutiny before being pronounced, err..."enhanced." I would appreciate comments from others as to how they would evaluate such a piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

This is an interesting thread. I would be curious to know how others would evaluate the pictured piece. My experience with consolidated, sham matrix from Morocco is the result of the deconstruction of a fake about 15 years ago. That matrix looked finer and much more homogeneous in texture than that pictured. Also, is was extremely hydrophillic and when wet smelled strongly of wet, organic-rich soil; as opposed to stone or sand. I have recently read on the Forum that the "forgers" are now using a less water loving adhesive to consolidate. I wonder if this also has an effect on the typical smell I experienced? At a cursory glance and obviously from a photo alone; I would feel that the pictured object required additional scrutiny before being pronounced, err..."enhanced." I would appreciate comments from others as to how they would evaluate such a piece.

In the sales page it says itself that these fossils are genuine but re cast into a secure matrix.

Yea, I have heard that the fake matrix smells like dirt when wet. But I know very little on the subject. I also hear that if there are little bits and pieces of fossil in the matrix its more likely real.

- Indiana Jones

Yea, I have heard that the fake matrix smells like dirt when wet. But I know very little on the subject. I also hear that if there are little bits and pieces of fossil in the matrix its more likely real.

I think that's why I enjoy forums like these... You tend to have good e-stand sections with great deals on items you know you can trust (as many people call the person out if it isn't real). I use a medal forums and a ancient coin forums e-stand have have always had a great time. With these items though you are looking at £6-10 so it's not the end of the world when you buy one or you want a nice display piece outside of your main collection to give as gifts or just look good on the mantle piece.

How would you manage such a feat?

How would you manage such a feat?

You could use a robot suite? I mean come on! You have time travel why not a robot suite?