1st ever attempt to draw anything.

ElToro

Hi! After seeing some great paleo art here I thought I'll give it a go. Here's a little drawing I knocked up. Its the first drawing I did since about 6years old. Its only a rough sketch but its supposed to be an Amplectobelua symbrachiata chasing an Elrathia trilobite. I tried to make it is as anatomically correct as I could. Down to the correct number of body segments and grasper podomeres. (the spots are artistic license!)

post-20038-0-44068300-1452685453_thumb.jpg

Edited by ElToro

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I think this one is better. The Guangweicaris spinatus from Chengjiang, China lower Cambrian. I had to sorta imagine this one cause there is almost no art or images of it. Used my own fossils for input.

post-20038-0-43124200-1452691907_thumb.jpg

Edited by ElToro

- Indiana Jones

The second one is very promising. When it comes to creating restorations, it always help to have skeletal references to get a better understanding on the subjects anatomy.

From what I see from you, I recommend starting off by just making basic top and side views of your subject. Get a better understanding on how your subject is shaped. Once done, then that breaking up your side and top views into basic shapes with little care about detail. From what I can judge by guangweicaris shape not including the articulated joints, its rather ovalish in shape and tapers considerably at the end. Practice drawing that shape in several perspectives and then add details as you get more comfortable with your progress.

I made tons of sketches in my free time. I gotten to the point were I have a great understanding of the rapid anatomy that often times, I don't even use a reference in sketches( though, it certainly helps)

Sorry for the long post, but its always great to see a budding artist at work

• I found this Informative 1

The second one is very promising. When it comes to creating restorations, it always help to have skeletal references to get a better understanding on the subjects anatomy.

From what I see from you, I recommend starting off by just making basic top and side views of your subject. Get a better understanding on how your subject is shaped. Once done, then that breaking up your side and top views into basic shapes with little care about detail. From what I can judge by guangweicaris shape not including the articulated joints, its rather ovalish in shape and tapers considerably at the end. Practice drawing that shape in several perspectives and then add details as you get more comfortable with your progress.

I made tons of sketches in my free time. I gotten to the point were I have a great understanding of the rapid anatomy that often times, I don't even use a reference in sketches( though, it certainly helps)

Sorry for the long post, but its always great to see a budding artist at work

Thanx mate! Yea, these are scribbles done while having an after work brew. My main motivation is the fact that there are hardly any images of these critters (especially Guangweicaris!). Sadly I doubt have the time to get much practice in. But I could do a few doodles sometimes. I wish there were more hrs in the day...

- Indiana Jones

Great drawings Dan, have you thought about making one out of clay? Could be a bit of fun mate and if it doesn't turn out right just screw it up and start again. Maybe plasticine to start off with. I reckon a clay model would display really well with your fossils.

Great drawings Dan, have you thought about making one out of clay? Could be a bit of fun mate and if it doesn't turn out right just screw it up and start again. Maybe plasticine to start off with. I reckon a clay model would display really well with your fossils.

Well actually they are terrible drawings. I was worried I'd get booted off TFF for lack of talent. But modelling with putty I AM good at. Been modelling wargame miniatures since I was 10yo and often had to make tiny objects from modelling putty. I gotta head to the local hobby shop...

- Indiana Jones

Well actually they are terrible drawings. I was worried I'd get booted off TFF for lack of talent. But modelling with putty I AM good at. Been modelling wargame miniatures since I was 10yo and often had to make tiny objects from modelling putty. I gotta head to the local hobby shop...

Look forward to seeing your clay models mate, post them up when you've had a go!

Look forward to seeing your clay models mate, post them up when you've had a go!

I may have a go this weekend. I have nothing on so may as well.
  • I found this Informative 1

- Indiana Jones

For someone who doesn't draw. This is pretty good.

Looks like you're strugling with the perpective though. It might be worth working on improving proportions without a focus on perpective. So maybe try a top down view of an Anomalocarid. I hope this helps.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

For someone who doesn't draw. This is pretty good.

Looks like you're strugling with the perpective though. It might be worth working on improving proportions without a focus on perpective. So maybe try a top down view of an Anomalocarid. I hope this helps.

Yea, I think I'm gonna try 3D models. Getting good perspective on 2D paper is hard! I'm used to working in 3D. I don't know how the artists do it.

- Indiana Jones