First Post! - Californian Anomalocaris

Sarcopterygiianson

Hello! This is my first post. I'm happy to meet you all!

I currently have a very modest fossil collection, but have been keeping my eyes peeled for some specimens that I was really excited about.

I came across this fossil, which I was considering adding to my collection. It is described as a 200g fossil of a 60mm Anomalocaris appendage next to a small brachiopod. It was found in the Latham Shale in the Marble Mountains of California, and it's indicated that finding these is a very uncommon occurrence.

I was wondering if anyone here might have insight as to if it's real, fake, or restored in any way.

Thanks!

2.png

1.png

Worth noting that I also found this thread for a very similar topic when searching. I was thinking the discussion there might be useful.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Sorry I can't help with your question as I am not experienced with these particular type of fossils. 

Hopefully someone will be along that can help.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I appreciate the warm welcome and the insight! I was thinking that it's possible that it's fake as well, but I'm definitely not sure by any means.

I was having a somewhat hard time finding fossils that looked similar. The great majority of other radiodont fossils that I've found pictures of appear to have visible auxiliary spines, and alternating long and short endite lengths, which seems like it could be a red flag?

20191213_Radiodonta_frontal_appendage_An

Image credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:20191213_Radiodonta_frontal_appendage_Anomalocarididae_Amplectobeluidae.png

image.png.fae728d34bab10d6bcc2d5b4efc7c52f.png

Image credit: https://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/990570

More pictures: https://burgess-shale.rom.on.ca/fossils/anomalocaris-canadensis/

Edited by Sarcopterygiianson

I know where you saw this, and my understanding is that this vendor is general reputable but of course that's no guarantee, fakes do slip through the cracks. I lean towards this one being real (unless it's a cast), but I don't want to say for sure because I am unfamiliar with the preservation at the alleged locality. That said, I agree with the above that this wouldn't be genus Anomalocaris, as the endites lack auxillary spines. Lenisicaris is definitely a more reasonable identification, but of course there's also the chance it's an undescribed genus. A lot work still left to be done on radiodonts, and feeding appendages are both useful for species/genus delimitation and relatively commonly found.

Edited by Opabinia Blues
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forced have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope it’s real, I’m the one who bought it 🤣

Now that I have it in my possession, I would definitely come to believe it is authentic. I say this after inspection of the finer details and air pockets that are captured on the appendage.

[seller information redacted by staff]

While the quality of the specimens will definitely vary, you can get them at an exceptional price if you’re lucky. I just snagged a set of both appendages with a handful of brachiopods all in one piece.

IMG_0537.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the original with the rest of my collection, and let me know if you’d like any more close ups!IMG_0511.thumb.jpeg.84534fbb0648089fc5e1b371ad1f3768.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

As per forum rules, please do not post links to sellers.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This actually looks real to me. Plausible location as well.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 1/3/2024 at 1:25 AM, CFerraioli said:

I sure hope it’s real, I’m the one who bought it 🤣

Now that I have it in my possession, I would definitely come to believe it is authentic. I say this after inspection of the finer details and air pockets that are captured on the appendage.

[seller information redacted by staff]

While the quality of the specimens will definitely vary, you can get them at an exceptional price if you’re lucky. I just snagged a set of both appendages with a handful of brachiopods all in one piece.

IMG_0537.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the original with the rest of my collection, and let me know if you’d like any more close ups!IMG_0511.thumb.jpeg.84534fbb0648089fc5e1b371ad1f3768.jpeg

I snagged this one recently, so happy to have it! 

EB0131BA-1CB2-42D5-9407-BD56817A7D52.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

26B2365E-C2A3-4793-8E5B-68584EA0756E.png.746d948d15a718f5153ab32b60a87ff9.png 8FC20729-9038-47AC-82BA-A7FECC35384D.png.659f2af2a4de08ccc258f7609cf5efeb.png
“The worse the country, the more tortured it is by water and wind, the more broken and carved, the more it attracts fossil hunters, who depend on the planet to open itself to us. We can only scratch away at what natural forced have brought to the surface.”
- Jack Horner

On 12/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Sarcopterygiianson said:

Hello! This is my first post. I'm happy to meet you all!

I currently have a very modest fossil collection, but have been keeping my eyes peeled for some specimens that I was really excited about.

I came across this fossil, which I was considering adding to my collection. It is described as a 200g fossil of a 60mm Anomalocaris appendage next to a small brachiopod. It was found in the Latham Shale in the Marble Mountains of California, and it's indicated that finding these is a very uncommon occurrence.

I was wondering if anyone here might have insight as to if it's real, fake, or restored in any way.

Thanks!

2.png

1.png

I'm not wild about the prep job... It looks like they engraved a bit too deep around those spines, making the outline unnatural and harder to tell that it's not fake. For instance, it could be something like an alga or some nondescript blob, with the shape of an Anomalocaris claw carved out of it. But it could be real for all I know, and the prepper just got carried away.