Cave Bear collection

ElToro

I've laid out my Austrian (and a couple Romanian) Ursus spelaeus collection on my desk. Lots of stuff! I've been trying to assemble a whole paw but am missing several bones of the right size. I'm finding it very hard to find bones from that site, so a friend is sending me a whole paw from Mixnitz, Austria.

Among this collection are an ulna, 2 jaws, teeth, canine, top of fused radius and ulna, ball and socket joints, intervertebral disks, rib sections, wrist and hand bones, phalanges, claw cores and other unidentified small bone pieces.

post-20038-0-81526300-1455335839_thumb.jpg

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Very nice!

Thanx mate! I have a whole spelaeus paw coming in the mail from Austria so I'm trading and donating many of the finger bones and claw cores. Thought id take a pic before i send them off. I tried to assemble my own but am missing some bones and its not easy to get hold of bones from that location. Cave Bear paws are always composites because of the depositional environment. The bones of many individual bears get jumbled up. However the bones should all be from the same site, not a few from Mixnitz, a few from the Carpathian Mountains and a few from Dachstein Mountains. The paw on the way to me is from Mixnitz. B)

- Indiana Jones

Sweet! Where did you get the claws? I have a canine and a finger bone from Romania :)

post-18981-0-31501400-1455350424_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-82380600-1455350446_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-82245700-1455350467_thumb.jpg

post-18981-0-56641700-1455350507_thumb.jpg

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Sweet! Where did you get the claws? I have a canine and a finger bone from Romania :)

Cool fossils! How big is the canine? My best canine is in a jaw. B) I'm gonna put a finger and some other hand/wrist bones in the trade section. When the hand in the pic arrives, they will become redundant to my collection. Lol!

post-20038-0-69700600-1455351778_thumb.jpg

Edited by ElToro

- Indiana Jones

All of the claw cores and phalanges are from the Dachstein Mountains in the province Steiermark, Austria. I managed to acquire a bag of bones, claws and teeth from there.

- Indiana Jones

Cool fossils! How big is the canine? My best canine is in a jaw. B) I'm gonna put a finger and some other hand/wrist bones in the trade section. When the hand in the pic arrives, they will become redundant to my collection. Lol!

My canine is 4" total and the finger bone is a little over an inch I think. Co grats in the hand, that'll be awesome in your collection!

All of the claw cores and phalanges are from the Dachstein Mountains in the province Steiermark, Austria. I managed to acquire a bag of bones, claws and teeth from there.

Nice!