What fossil should I try and get?

M3gal0don_M4n

Hi.

I live in an area where there are no really close fossil sites. There is one, but that is fairly far away but my parents won’t let me go, as I am “too young to go by myself” I also have an injury (torn ACL) that prevents me from being able to really clamber among rocks. Because of those issues, I have resorted to finding fossils on the internet and wistfully staring at them. 

Anyway, all of that leads me to my question. What is a fossil I can realistically be able to purchase with my small amount of birthday and pocket money?

I already have a large megalodon tooth ( I plan to collect them), a spinosaurus tooth, an unidentified Abelisaurid tooth, an ichthyosaur vertebrae, a knightia fossil, a hastalis tooth (found by me and my dad), A scylirhinoid vertebrae (also found by me and my dad), a trilobite, an otodus tooth, a “sarcosuchus” tooth that I am yet to clarify its legitimacy with all of you, and a small mosasaur tooth I don’t know the species of… yet. (Thinking Beaugei)

open to any suggestions!

Signature goes here.

It's hard to answer your question directly, since the acquisition of fossils is in the end a matter of personal taste and interest and you must know what your budget is better than any of us. So I would suggest spending lots of time perusing the internet auctions and fossil websites, learning firsthand what is offered and make your choices.

• I Agree 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is great advice! Thanks

Signature goes here.

I understand what you mean. Maybe you can explain what type of fossils do you like? Vertebrates? Animals? Anything? And what is your location? For example where I live the budget friendly fossils one can find are from morocco but in the USA the price can be a little higher.

I dunno...take up birdwatching?  (Australia is a great place for that).

Just kidding (sorta), but it is really up to you... what fossils do you think are cool (and affordable).   Do you want to stick to Oz fossils?  Ask yourself this.... Why do I want a fossil?  Maybe the answer will help you decide what fossil to get.      

• 4 weeks later...

There are some very nice fossils out there that can be found at bargain prices:

Many Green River fish fossils

Madagascar ammonite

Ohio trilobites

Utah trilobites

Morroccan trilobites (be wary of fakes, but most are real)

Pennsylvania ferns

I will say there are frequently awesome bargins in the member sales forum here... don't know what shipping will run to Australia though.  I would probably watch that forum religiously!

I would really recommend that you try and find a local fossil / palentology club to join.  You may be able to go on field trips with the club to areas that are otherwise inaccessable to you.

Edited by aplomado