icycatelf

I found this poking out of the creek about a week ago. It looks like there are leaves in there (maybe some twigs as well), but I'm not sure what kind. The long, skinny shapes of the "leaves" make me think they might be Annularia (although lacking the fanning shape, which I assume is because they fell off the plant), but I'm not sure... The biggest ones at the bottom left measure about 2cm long.

post-19850-0-39664200-1455996109_thumb.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

It does look like plant bits ("paleo mulch").

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hard to tell from that image, but I think they are not Annularia, looks more like Neuropteris/Pecopteris fragments,at least the bottom one.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm thinking stems and twigs. Definite plant material. I see a lot of Devonian age stuff like that in and around the Catskills.

Hard to tell from that image, but I think they are not Annularia, looks more like Neuropteris/Pecopteris fragments,at least the bottom one.

That's what I thought at first, but when I looked at more Neuropteris images, it started looking less and less like it. Still might be, though. I'll try to take some close-ups of the leaf-like shapes soon to see if that helps with the ID.

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif