Cutting matrix

JohnBrewer

What do you guys use for cutting down matrices that are err rock hard? I've thought of a tile saw but unless a lot of money is spent then the depth of the cut is really small, 25mm/1in. Would an angle grinder with a concrete blade work?

Thanks

John

I've used diamond cutting wheels on my dremel tool, and a concrete blade on my circular saw.

They seem to work OK.

I've heard of people on here using angle grinders.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A friend of mine has a rock saw that he uses for exactly that,as well as cutting geodes, slabs for cabochons, (jewelry). Yoy can buy different blades and he once trimmed up a herkimer diamond in dolomite matrix for me and that is super hard.I believe he got it from a lapidary company so maybe you could look into that. And in know that if you look around you could find a used one at a decent price .

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I use a diamond cutting wheel on my dremel for matrix block about 1/2 thick 4" x 4". Like the control a small tool gives me on a small piece.

Hey John. Tuff to beat a 10 inch water feed tile saw, but I also use a 4 inch angle grinder with a diamond cutting wheel on it. A ton less expensive and easy to use too, but try and stay out of the dust.

RB

Thanks guys. I have a Dremel and a 4" grinder with stone cutting disc so I guess I don't need to invest in anything else which is good as I need to save ££££ for compressor and scribe.

Darctooth, the problem with rock saws is most use and oil in the cutting fluid to aid as a coolant for the blade. If you have a limestone or other porous matrix it will absorb and may ruin the fossil. Better off using a dry bladed cutting tool or one that only cuts with water.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Lots of good advice above.

I use a tile saw when needed to trim up specimens in matrix. To add what caldigger advises...it's a good idea to toss a piece of matrix that has no value intoyour pack to experiment on. Never know how some specimen may absorb oil, crumble or whatever.

Also. If you live in a larger center then there may be a rock and lapidary club. Some older retired member is often happy to cut up a few rocks for you. If sedimentary ( limestone, shale), then no cost. If an igneous rock then usually a dollar or so a piece to defer the wear on their diamond blade. Also, most older guys are happy to teach you a few skills. Rock hounding and lapidary is largely a declining hobby so they also often have extra equipment hanging around.

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 1