Are these real shell fossils?

Nothosaurus

I would really appreciate advice on whether or not this matrix of shells or fossilized.  It is being advertised as fossilized shells, but I want to make sure before I would purchase it. Thank you so much everyone for your expert advice.

IMG_7800.png

IMG_7799.png

IMG_7799.png

Where is it from? 

Texas has a similar commercial stone with lots of Trigonia clams.

https://wap.stonecontact.com/cordova-shell-limestone/s15806

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yes they are real, but its difficult to tell from the photo what is shell and what is imprint, but certainly some of them has the shell present

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm just seeing imprints and not the shells themselves.

On further examination of photos i think you are right no shells just impressions but they are at least real imprints 

I prefer to call them external molds, because they record the external shape of the shell. 

• I Agree 1

This matrix of shells is for sale and the description says it is a fossil.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on whether or not this seems to be a genuine, fossil, or a more modern matrix. Thank you so much for your expertise everyone.

IMG_7799.png

IMG_7800.png

IMG_7801.png

Those are most likely fossil shell imprints, but knowing where they were found could help confirm that.

TOPICS MERGED.

@Nothosaurus

One is plenty.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, Nothosaurus said:

I would greatly appreciate any advice on whether or not this seems to be a genuine, fossil, or a more modern matrix. Thank you so much for your expertise everyone.

This matrix surely looks like genuine rock. Its cost shouldn't be significantly more than the price of materials to create a fake, anyway. 

I want to thank everyone for their amazing thoughts and advice! So many came to my rescue! This is such a fantastic forum!  The responses I’m getting make me think it is genuine.  Someone asked if I knew where it was from.  No location was given so I am unsure. Thank you again my fossil friends! 

On 3/24/2024 at 5:35 AM, Brian James Maguire said:

On further examination of photos i think you are right no shells just impressions but they are at least real imprints 

Thank you so much Brian for your observation! With yours and others confirmation that this is a real fossil I am going to go ahead and purchase it. Thanks again for all your help. 

• Thank You 1