A Sweet Trip To A Monmouth County N.J. Fossil Brook

njfossilhunter

JeffreyP and I went to one of our fossil sites in Monmouth County called Willow Brook and found sweet fossil shark teeth. The most common shark teeth we found is the Goblin or Scapanorhynchus, Crow shark -Squalicorx, and some cretolamna- Porbeagle and a few other types that can be found in these brooks. Since JeffreyP has not been to these brooks as much as I have in the past I usually give my shark teeth away to whom is ever with me at that time. How many can I have. Well after some time collecting I mentioned to Jeff that I have not found any Ischyodus sp. ( Rat Fish ) in a while,,,,They are one of my favorite fossil from the brooks . Well after some more searching I decided to pick some Raspberries. that was growing all over the edges of the brook,,,,I think I eat more then I put in my gallon ziplock bag. Dang they were good. As I was hard at work picking berries Jeff called to me to look at something tiny he found and sure enough it was a tiny about a 1/2 or less a Ischyodus Bifurcatus Mandible . And he graciously gave it to me...what a great guy he is....Thanks Jeff,,,Your the best.

Here is Jeff hard at work finding me a Ischyodus

post-2085-0-11999900-1469732487_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the Ischyodus.

post-2085-0-79065700-1469732389_thumb.jpg

Here is a pictures of the berries insitu and in my bag,,,Sorry I can't

take a picture of the ones in my belly.

post-2085-0-22012300-1469733200_thumb.jpg

And Here is a picture of the Raspberry Jam I made with the berries I managed not to eat.

I'm going to label them as.....Wild Willow Brook Raspberry Jam..Yummmmy

post-2085-0-67549700-1469733236_thumb.jpg

I might bring some of the jam with me and a nice loaf of bread to share with my fossil buddies ,,if I'm feeling generous.

• I found this Informative 2

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Glad you guys got out there, Tony! Sounds like a nice day. :)

I'll have to get down there one of these days and find some ratfish for you, as well!

I'll expect toast and Jam, though. ;)

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Glad you guys got out there, Tony! Sounds like a nice day. :)

I'll have to get down there one of these days and find some ratfish for you, as well!

I'll expect toast and Jam, though. ;)

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

You got it Tim. I'll be picking the berries all summer and I'll save you a jar.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Sweet Jam and fossils !! ... my two favorite things.

attachicon.gif75ffed9b89c90c4c5ed28d47bd244e3a.jpg

They sure are....and that picture of the cat looks like the one my wife has...Russian Grey and its a porky little guy too....LOL

Tony

Tony you should have invited me :(. Ha I was at camp. Look like you guys had fun! Nice finds.

: )

Tony you should have invited me :(. Ha I was at camp. Look like you guys had fun! Nice finds.

Thanks Trevor...We did...

Yum.

Agree..... :D

Tony

Nice trip Tony! By the way, ratfish are some of my favorites too; I saw some pictures of what they looked like; they were some cool looking fish!

Thanks for sharing your day with us, Tony. It seems like the brooks are like a jar of jam, always better when shared with friends.

MIke

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Before I gave Tony the ratfish piece he gifted me a few shark teeth including these two beauties:

post-13044-0-26105800-1469750151_thumb.jpg

(left) Scapanorhynchus texanus (goblin shark-anterior tooth)

Notice the cuplets. Those are rarely preserved in stream bed specimens.

(right) Squalicorax sp.(crow shark)

Thanks Tony. Looks like that raspberry jam came out super. Enjoy!

Nice trip Tony! By the way, ratfish are some of my favorites too; I saw some pictures of what they looked like; they were some cool looking fish!

I know ..they are some of the nicer fossils that are found in the brooks

Congrats on the ratfish.

Looks like a nice place to hunt-- fossils.

Tony

Thank's Tony..... :)

Thanks for sharing your day with us, Tony. It seems like the brooks are like a jar of jam, always better when shared with friends.

MIke

Your Welcome Mike.......And yes the brooks are like a jar of Wild Willow Brook Jam....LOL.. its best when shared with friends.. :D

Before I gave Tony the ratfish piece he gifted me a few shark teeth including these two beauties:

attachicon.gifIMG_4416.JPG

(left) Scapanorhynchus texanus (goblin shark-anterior tooth)

Notice the cuplets. Those are rarely preserved in stream bed specimens.

(right) Squalicorax sp.(crow shark)

Thanks Tony. Looks like that raspberry jam came out super. Enjoy!

Wow.... I never noticed the cusps on that one.....Nice. I'll save you a jar... I'm heading back to pick more of them sometime soon....The inlaw's have been eyeing my Jam and its only a matter of a short time before its gone...lol

Tony