Georgia trilo site: Age, anyone?

MeargleSchmeargl

So I just recently found a new trilobite site in GA only an hour and a half drive away from where I live. I plan on going there this weekend (tomorrow), but I do not know the exact age. I have currently been unsuccessful at finding a reliable geological map so far. Anyone have an idea on the age? Thanks!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

A quick Google search brought me to THIS WEBSITE.

It mentions the Conasauga shale, which is Cambrian in age. ;)

Google is your friend. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here is a link to a paper that describes the fauna. Aphelaspis brachyphasis is very common at the site, you should have no trouble finding some nice examples. It is the only species recorded from the site that you are likely to see with the unaided eye. The agnostids are very small and much rarer; I find them by bringing home some chunks of shale to split up and examine under a binocular microscope. The preservation is a bit unusual, as the trilobites themselves have been replaced/filled with some mineral that is mostly dissolved away so it is hard to get good "positive" specimens; mostly they crumble, the remaining exoskeleton flakes off, or they are full of holes. On the other hand the impressions (the "negative" side of the specimen when you split the shale) are very detailed.

The outcrop is quite limited and could easily be destroyed by over collecting. For that reason I have never posted exact directions online. You will also notice that the exact location is not described in the paper I linked. It is a nice site, biostratigraphically important and productive enough to be used by geology courses from area universities as well as local collectors.

Also you should check water levels on the Conasauga River before you go, or at least make sure it has not rained a lot recently, if you don't want to have to wear waders when you collect.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks for the helpful info! I will be sure to take note of this.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I second Don's concern. Be gentle. It's a small outcrop. If the water level is low, there are good pieces to split lying in the river bed also.

I've collected there once. It is really fun, since trilobites are practically non-existent in my neck of the woods.

Agree with the others concerns. Be careful, as some people have dug underneath large trees on the bank so some sections of the bank may not be very stable, the last thing you want is to be hurt or worse by a tree crashing down.