Michael Marinelli

Found this coral head today where I’ve found other agatized coral in the Tampa Bay area in FL.  To me it looks suspicious, it has a slightly blue color around its edges and has some botryoidal formations on the outside.  It’s not super lightweight though, so I don’t think it’s hollow (or completely hollow).  Does this look like it’s worth cutting?  Is it likely to have any voids or botryoidal formations inside based on other agatized corals you guys have seen?

IMG_5640.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I'd give it a go.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.   :shrug:

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I say give it a whorl. Because it is still super cool if you cut it in half and what if it is hollow? :Confused05:

• I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

Even if it is not hollow, it will still look amazing with the agate bands.

• I Agree 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Very nice !!!   We have a member who knows more than a little about Agatized coral in Florida and cutting them in half..  Let's see if @Sacha has a view...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Very nice !!!   We have a member who knows more than a little about Agatized coral in Florida and cutting them in half..  Let's see if @Sacha has a view...

Awesome.  I hope he gives us his input.  

Are you guys seeing the video too?  I’m not sure if i attached it correctly. 

Edited by Michael Marinelli
typo

Based on the shape, I don't think it's hollow. If you cut it, I think you may see a couple more botryoidal spots, but basically more of what you see on the outside. It doesn't look dense enough to polish the cut surfaces, so I'd pass on cutting and leave it alone. 

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Sacha said:

Based on the shape, I don't think it's hollow. If you cut it, I think you may see a couple more botryoidal spots, but basically more of what you see on the outside. It doesn't look dense enough to polish the cut surfaces, so I'd pass on cutting and leave it alone. 

Well I saw this after cutting it, and you were right.  It was a complete dud.  

Luckily though, I found this other little branch on the same day.  To my surprise, it turned out to be absolutely beautiful after cutting:

• Enjoyed 1

@Sacha, how do you go about identifying good coral to cut?  Do you know specifically about coral from Tampa bay?  I’m really trying to find some nice pieces while I go to school over here in Tampa.  

7 hours ago, Michael Marinelli said:

@Sacha, how do you go about identifying good coral to cut?  Do you know specifically about coral from Tampa bay?  I’m really trying to find some nice pieces while I go to school over here in Tampa.  

The "branch" you found was a classic "Tampa Bay Coral". That shape and external features would indicate a likelihood of success. For the Withlacoochee coral I find, a more globular shape is prevalent. It all comes with experience although Tampa corals are rarer now than Withlacoochee corals, so it's harder to get the experience. You're looking in the right spots. 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, Sacha said:

The "branch" you found was a classic "Tampa Bay Coral". That shape and external features would indicate a likelihood of success. For the Withlacoochee coral I find, a more globular shape is prevalent. It all comes with experience although Tampa corals are rarer now than Withlacoochee corals, so it's harder to get the experience. You're looking in the right spots. 

Okay, interesting.  Thank you for your input.

I also found this piece.  It’s the nicest one I’ve found but it’s kinda ugly.  Should I cut it to reveal more of its beauty and banding?  I also suspect there’s more agate in the branches:

That's tough one, but I would maybe grind some of the surfaces to open up the interior and expose the botryoidal structure. No matter what you do, if you go further, you will destroy some of the cool stuff, but that is always the issue when we want to turn these things inside out. 

Okay.  So you wouldn’t suggest cutting through those branches?  I don’t really have anything to grind it with.  

It just sucks that the agate bands have eroded and when the piece is completely dry it’s pretty unappealing. It just looks just chalky and dull. 

Should I maybe apply some mineral oil to make the colors pop more?  Because when it’s wet it’s pretty colorful. 

IMG_5628.thumb.jpeg.76a16d65fb4e3e5fe3e47b5a3da4c237.jpeg

If you can find a single plane that you could cut that would expose what you think would look good, than try it. If you want to try to coat the dull agate, try very thin coatings of Tung oil. It works well if the erosion isn't too bad. Make sure it's dry!

I think that's definitely a good one. If it's heavy it's probably not completely hollow, but may have some nice solid agate inside. Hopefully it isn't "punky".The video shows some druziness in the small pockets. That could be a bonus inside.

13 minutes ago, Sacha said:

I think that's definitely a good one. If it's heavy it's probably not completely hollow, but may have some nice solid agate inside. Hopefully it isn't "punky".The video shows some druziness in the small pockets. That could be a bonus inside.

Awesome.  Right afterwards I found this one…

Wow, so I haven’t cut the big coral head yet but I did cut the finger from my post above, and check this out

I’m thrilled with this find and am hoping to get it polished asap. 

@Sacha, do you polish this stuff or know anyone else near Tampa who can polish this stuff?  

• Enjoyed 1

That is a classic Tampa Bay Coral. You'll need a local contact for polishing because you will be finding more good stuff. Contact the Tampa Bay Fossil Club and ask them for a contact. I don't know if you have a gem and mineral club nearby, but if you do they would definitely have someone. 

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just found another beautiful agatized coral but it’s covered in algae and has some red stains.  How can i clean all the algae and red stains off without damaging any of the color or structure?  It’s completely silicified.