Oldies goodies or youngling bundling? Which do you prefer?

MeargleSchmeargl

Older = better?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite fossil age? (and why?)

• Pre-Ediacaran
    • Ediacaran
    • Cambrian
    • Ordovician
    • Silurian
    • Devonian
    • Carboniferous
    • Permian
    • Triassic
    • Jurassic
    • Cretaceous
    • Paleocene
    • Eocene
    • Oligocene
    • Miocene
    • Pliocene
    • Pleistocene
    • Post-Pleistocene

I have been wondering for a long time what everyone's favorite geological age was, based on fauna among other things. I personally prefer the Cambrian, as it is the oldest period of trilobites, qnd it contains some of the most intruiging lifeforms ever known (Wiwaxia, Anomalocaris, Opabina, etc.). What is your opinion? Cast your votes in the poll and give your reasoning for your choice! Cannot wait to see what you have to say!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hard for me to say. I am drawn to both the Paleozoic, and the Early Mesozoic. :unsure:

Too hard for me to choose. :P

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice topic. Since I started/became serious with collecting plant fossils from the coal measures of the Carboniferous, I guess that age will always be special to me.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I am from Austria. Serious and important research was done on the Upper Triassic (ammonoid chart)stage in Austria 150-120 years ago. I follow the traces of these early researchers.

Upper marine Triassic is definitly my age, in specially the Upper Triassic ammonoids.

Sorry for the wrong orientation of the pic but I wasn't able to delete it and upload  it correct.

andreas.JPG

Kind regards

Andreas

Edited by JohnJ
image rotated

That's OK, during the late Triassic the earth was tilted to the left so your orientation works.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, andreas said:

Sorry for the wrong orientation of the pic but I wasn't able to delete it and upload  it correct.

Image rotated.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I am partial to anything older than humans.

There is no "all of the above" in Your poll!

I have a real fondness for the strange looking things like "tully monsters" and "horned trilobites" or "saber tooth cats"

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 hours ago, caldigger said:

That's OK, during the late Triassic the earth was tilted to the left so your orientation works.

Idk why, but that sounds almost like a reddit roast xD

Don't judge me, It's just my ears.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

13 hours ago, ynot said:

I am partial to anything older than humans.

There is no "all of the above" in Your poll!

I have a real fondness for the strange looking things like "tully monsters" and "horned trilobites" or "saber tooth cats"

Tony

I'm kind of on the same boat as Tony on this one. I tend to collect from all periods, but I have a special warm spot for the Periods following the Eocene with all the abundance of mammals and the freakishly over proportioned creatures.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The entire period encompassing the Late Ordovician, Silurian and Devonian was always my favorite. Truly a golden age for marine life that wouldn't be re-achieved for a long time after it ended. Some of the most iconic fossil creatures(trilobites, rugose corals, eurypterids, graptolites) were flourishing throughout various points of the period. It's a real bummer for me that there are almost no rocks of this age anywhere near where I live. I truly envy those from Cincinnati, the Baltic region, Wales, etc.

Since I collect mostly Mazon Creek fossils, I have to say the Carboniferous, but I am very fond of the younger "road kill" mammals of the Oligocene.

My favorite is the Ordovician. In particular because I cut my paleo teeth in the Cincinnatian.  An amazing variety of stuff and often very well preserved. But the Silurian and Devonian also have my keen interest. Now that I am in Texas it's almost all Cretaceous with the odd foray up into the Pennsylvanian. 

But put me down for the Ordovician.

Cretaceous, because dinosaurs. :ighappy:

Though Ordovician, Devonian and Pleistocene also hold a special place in my heart.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Pennsylvanian all the way (the Carboniferous should be split into Mississippian and Pennsylvanian, since the two subsystems are as different as night and day -- in much of the US, at least).

First, the Pennsylvanian is my 'home team', my home-town strata, my original fossil-collecting stomping grounds. I recall seeing many of the local common Penn fossils in the rocks even before I knew what they were.

Secondly, the cyclical nature of Pennsylvanian rocks can feature an incredible variety of lithology/depositional environments and fossils in just a few feet of strata.

Context is critical.

I have self collected at Devonian, Miocene, Cretaceous, and Paleocene sites. While I don't really have a favorite, I definately prefer marine enviroments. I am fascinated with creatures that live in the water. And any fossil age that had sharks in it, gets my vote!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Carboniferous.  Mostly because there's  good exposures in many parts of the world. I like to see what others collect elsewhere  and compare specimens  to what we find in our Rockies.  This includes many phyla of invertebrates, shark teeth and plants.

The Devonian is a close second for the same reason. I like the other Paleozoic ages but dont know them as well.

Pleistocene for me! Love the strangeness and huge size of what lived so very close to people (and sometimes with)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

On 9/4/2016 at 3:16 PM, andreas said:

I am from Austria. Serious and important research was done on the Upper Triassic (ammonoid chart)stage in Austria 150-120 years ago. I follow the traces of these early researchers.

Upper marine Triassic is definitly my age, in specially the Upper Triassic ammonoids.

andreas.JPG

Kind regards

Andreas

Just wanted to say I really like your display case :dinothumb:...And the fossil's in it.....:ammonite01:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I'd like to be able to choose more than one (just one is impossible). I tend to like the older, so I'm tempted to select 'pre-Ediacaran', but there is more to see in the Ediacaran and later.

My reply would be almost identical to Hapchazzard's with the addition of the earlier periods before those he mentioned. But I also want to say what Tony said.

I do have fun collecting my local Cretaceous and anything else I can get access to. Even in the Cretaceous there are many fascinating things that are now extinct, like heteromorphic ammonites.

I vote Ordovician cuz:

•My city's bedrock belongs to that age

•The fossils that come from the Ordovician deposits of Ontario are superb

•The Fezouata of Morocco. I love how the Fezouata is like a mixture of Burgess Shale-types of animals and the more familiar, faunal forms of the Ordovician.

I also appreciate a little bit of Silurian and Cambrian.