Finding HUGE Whale Vertebra While Snorkeling!

MakoMeCrazy

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on the forum for quite a while, but here is my latest trip to a river/creek site somewhere in NC. 

The video pretty much tells the site for its self. Not any Megalodon teeth this time, but maybe next time!

Thank you for watching .

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice video...I love seeing what it's like to hunt in different areas...seems exactly the same as FL, but it's mostly Pleistocene vertebrates in the gravel beds around here.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Great video, great finds. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Awesome trip report.....:)   Thank you for taking the time to video and post this trip...:)

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I would go back to that spot with scuba gear and spend some quality time in those fossil beds.  Drag your fingers through the fossil layer, see what pops up.  Great video.  Thanks for sharing.  Made me drool.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Daddy like! Daddy like!  Thank you for taking me on your adventure.  I need to get in some water soon.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you for posting the video. It shows another side of collecting that I have never experienced.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

14 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I enjoyed the video. The great white is nice. Be sure to stay away from the brain eating amoebas down there.

Thank you Al Dente. I sure am trying to stay away from the brain eating amoebas...there was a case where a lady died in western NC (Charlotte) from the amoeba traveling up her nose and reaching her brain. 

13 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Great video, great finds. 

Thank you! 

13 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

Awesome trip report.....:)   Thank you for taking the time to video and post this trip...:)

Thank you very much! Here are some of my other videos:   https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMakoMeCrazy/videos

13 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

I would go back to that spot with scuba gear and spend some quality time in those fossil beds.  Drag your fingers through the fossil layer, see what pops up.  Great video.  Thanks for sharing.  Made me drool.

I sure will. I searched the gravel beds for about 3 hours and didn't find anything but verts, but I definitely agree that I need more bottom time. Looking to get SCUBA certified soon. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

Daddy like! Daddy like!  Thank you for taking me on your adventure.  I need to get in some water soon.

Hahaha Glad you like the video! Thank you. 

12 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Wow! Absolutely incredible!!!

Thank you! Here are more of my videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMakoMeCrazy/videos

11 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Fun video...love the scrambling hand. :)

Lol I'm always frantically searching the bottom because certain objects look like Megalodon teeth. Plus I only have a limited amount of time down there since I am free diving. 

7 hours ago, Foosil said:

Really amazing. How rare are whale verts around there?

Thank you. The verts are not very rare...they're pretty common. I've found about 50 in the times I've snorkeled there. 

3 hours ago, Angie said:

Great video, thanks for posting! The great white tooth is amazing :)

Thank you! The Great White sure is a gem. Love it. 

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

Thank you for posting the video. It shows another side of collecting that I have never experienced.

No problem. Thanks for watching! I'm certainly fortunate to be able to collect this way.