Your Fossil Avatar?

TyrannosaurusRex

17 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Mine is my best preserved Ludwigia haugi ammonite, my avatar namesake. I found it several years ago in my middle Jurassic hunting ground.

That's ammonite is one of the best I've seen. Beautiful.

26 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

The oreodont Miniochoerus gracile from the Eocene/Oligocene of NW Nebraska.  The best one I've ever found!  Absolutely no reconstruction!

-Joe

Not only is it a great Fossil, finding it makes it so much more special.

My current avatar is a juvenile cryptocleidus dorsal vertebra I've repaired. Only another 12 to go...;).

I wonder if its possible to have a description for our avatars somewhere on our profiles for members to read @Cris 

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

20 hours ago, caldigger said:

A rolled trilobite snaked off of Google images, for no other reason than it looked like a smiling face.  No personal attachment, no real story behind it, call me boring if you will. I just liked the picture.

I like it too. :trilosurprise: TFF-Excited-Trilobite-Emoji-30px.gif  

Thanks for this interesting thread. I switch my avatars now and then between the current avatar photo of an extant hermit crab, Pagurus longicarpus, common here in New England, and the cover illustration of my children's book (about a very anthropomorphic hermit crab) probably about to go out of print after thirty years. purmittsmall2.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

"I wonder if its possible to have a description for our avatars somewhere on our profiles for members to read @Cris "

Yes, you can modify that space right above your avatar to say whatever you want. I made mine say "Chief Comedian", but you could put some words to describe your avatar.

Just now, tmaier said:

"I wonder if its possible to have a description for our avatars somewhere on our profiles for members to read @Cris "

Yes, you can modify that space right above your avatar to say whatever you want. I made mine say "Chief Comedian", but you could put some words to describe your avatar.

That is an option for only very well established members.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mine is the Paleozoic clam 'Wilkingia'.

Although I have found several specimens since, this is the first, and best preserved of them all.

I love the 3D aspect of it in the matrix.

I don't know the member it is from, as it was found next to a boat ramp on the Missouri river with deposited rocks.

This find, although I've always had an interest in fossils, led to wanting to know more and ultimately membership on TFF.

I've actually been considering rephotographing it, but keeping it as my avatar.

• I found this Informative 2

Steve

6 hours ago, snolly50 said:

, while the other is "rode hard and put up wet."

Don't saxophones have spit valves?:P

Steve

Mine is a Vinylmation, a collectible made by Disney.  This one has been hand sculpted and painted by a friend of mine, and is Butch the T.rex from the movie "The Good Dinosaur".   I've stopped collecting Disney Vinylmation in recent years in order to expand my dinosaur fossil collection.  

5 hours ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

It took me several looks at it before I realized it wasn't a Komodo dragon hahah!

me too!

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Here is my story. When in Texas I collected a Prionocyclus bosquensis  ammonite from the TXI Quarry in Midlothian which  became my avatar. An ammonite was appropriate because of my Fossil Forum name. The Dallas Paleontological Society (DPS) puts a generic ammonite in place of your head shot in their member directory if you do not provide a photo of yourself. Since I did not have a head shot as my avatar, I selected a much nicer ammonite (than the one that DPS gives you) as my avatar.

Don't forget to contact DPS before you come to collect fossils in north Texas; they just might be having one of their regular fossil hunting outings..

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Don't saxophones have spit valves?:P

Nope, the spit (actually condensation) just builds up on the pads and interior of the horn, which then requires "swabbing." Only those motor lip driven instruments, like trumpets and such need spit valves.

Of course the pictured object in my icon that has been "rode hard and put up wet" is not the vintage saxophone, that's in fine shape.... 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Mine is probably obvious. Megalodon is one of the most easily recognizable teeth out there. Heh. Mine is a South Carolina tooth. But the "little" white tooth next to it is a replica of an adult great white shark tooth for comparison.

Mine's the broken-off tip of an Eremotherium sp. ground sloth claw. I found it in a spoil pile at the now-closed-and-flooded Caloosa Shell mine in Ruskin, FL back in the late 1990s. The site was Pleistocene, Irvingtonian Age.

Mine is the first megatoothed shark tooth I ever found.  It's a 3" carcharocles chubutensis found at Brownies Beach in Chesapeake Beach, MD.  I was about 14 when I found it.  

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Mine like a lot of the avatars is a specimen I found a kronosaurus queenslandicus  the largest tooth I have ever found.

Mike D'Arcy

On 10/14/2016 at 7:35 AM, TyrannosaurusRex said:

For those of the members that have fossils as their avatars, what Fossil do you have?

I have always thought it was interesting, and there are several on here that have aroused my curiosity.

Mine is just the Tyrannosaurus owned by Michael Covel.

I'm glad you posted this topic since I have put off making an Avatar, so I just did; my Avatar is of me doing another favorite hobby, Rock Climbing. Here I am climbing a route at Red River Gorge, Kentucky.

Mine is an asteroceras sp ammonite from Scunthorpe. Around 12 inches.

It was found in a small pile of ironstone on the edge of a building site which is now an industrial park. It was found around 15 years ago I assume that the pile of rock came from digging foundations.

I hit a small  flatish slab of ironstone and broke the fossil in half.

It has been sat in a box in the garage for years as I did not have the confidence to prepare it.

A couple of years ago I decided to 'have a go' at it and it prepared beautifully, its been sanded and awaits a final polish

11 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I'm glad you posted this topic since I have put off making an Avatar, so I just did; my Avatar is of me doing another favorite hobby, Rock Climbing. Here I am climbing a route at Red River Gorge, Kentucky.

Glad it helped do that. That is really neat!

7 hours ago, StormDancer said:

Mine is an asteroceras sp ammonite from Scunthorpe. Around 12 inches.

It was found in a small pile of ironstone on the edge of a building site which is now an industrial park. It was found around 15 years ago I assume that the pile of rock came from digging foundations.

I hit a small  flatish slab of ironstone and broke the fossil in half.

It has been sat in a box in the garage for years as I did not have the confidence to prepare it.

A couple of years ago I decided to 'have a go' at it and it prepared beautifully, its been sanded and awaits a final polish

Love it!

Mine's not a fossil, but is a picture of a real live dinosaur! (Aplomado falcon, I helped re-introduce these in southwest Texas).

• I found this Informative 2

My Avatar is Ptychodus mortoni from The Blossom Sand Formation of Texas. Since finding my first Ptychodus tooth they have become one of my favorite fossils to hunt. 

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:46 PM, aplomado said:

Mine's not a fossil, but is a picture of a real live dinosaur! (Aplomado falcon, I helped re-introduce these in southwest Texas).

Nice