The prep room

ischua

Tonight I started to build my new workstation for prepping fossils. I picked up a blasting cabinet at our farm supply store. I removed the heavy duty gloves and sandblasting gun and adapted some other stuff to attach the shop vac . I need a few pieces to add more led lights to the inside 

IMG_1444.JPG

Looking good......:)

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I see you have the most important piece of equipment set up already... the radio.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The cabinets are on sale at $94 US I need to add a carpet/pad to work on. I was surprised how quiet the tools were inside. I will hook up the vacuum this weekend I need more hose to vent it outside. No more dust and rock chunks on the floor! 

Some shop vacs aren't equipped to handle the super fine particles created by prepping fossils and can expel it into the air. You can test your vacuum by sucking up some flour or baking soda in a dark room with a black light lit up. If your vaccum is expelling the fine particles, your black light will illuminate them as they leave the air return. This method will also expose other leaks in your system. I highly recommend you test your system before continual operation. You can develop one or more of the many pulmonary diseases contributed to breathing in fine particulates. Pulmonary fibrosis is the worst and is always 100% fatal.  Depending on your brand, a wet filter can be placed inside to capture these particles.

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

I would avoid using a piece of carpet inside the sand blasting box.  If you loose a small piece (and you will) it would be really hard to find in the carpet.  Try using a surface you can sweep easily.  

12 hours ago, ischua said:

The cabinets are on sale at $94 US I need to add a carpet/pad to work on. I was surprised how quiet the tools were inside. I will hook up the vacuum this weekend I need more hose to vent it outside. No more dust and rock chunks on the floor! 

What? You don't like constantly sweeping up dust and rock chunks? That's crazy talk.

Very nice cabinet. I still need to come up with a good dust collection system for my space...

On 10/20/2016 at 10:55 PM, Raggedy Man said:

Some shop vacs aren't equipped to handle the super fine particles created by prepping fossils and can expel it into the air. You can test your vacuum by sucking up some flour or baking soda in a dark room with a black light lit up. If your vaccum is expelling the fine particles, your black light will illuminate them as they leave the air return. This method will also expose other leaks in your system. I highly recommend you test your system before continual operation. You can develop one or more of the many pulmonary diseases contributed to breathing in fine particulates. Pulmonary fibrosis is the worst and is always 100% fatal.  Depending on your brand, a wet filter can be placed inside to capture these particles.

Best regards,

Paul

I'm hoping to bypass this issue. I calked all the seams and holes and the vacuum will be will be vented to the outside so hopefully no dust leaks. I have a box filter (HEPA) if anything gets loose. I use it for wood carving its good for dust and smoke but nothing heavy.

Today I finished the dust box. A quick trip to the hardware store gave me fittings that vacuum could plug right into. I tried the baby powder test with no leaks.. dust went outside. 

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG