MnMark

Hi,

A short while ago, my wife and I collected in a Hell Creek location on a private ranch in SE Montana.  Associated finds were Nanotyrannus teeth, Triceratops teeth, as well as a few Hadrosaur and Triceratops bones.  My wife found an unusual tooth.  It is about 1 cm in length, curved in lingually, curved to the posterior, and it is serrated on the posterior edge.  The denticles have a pronounced upward (towards the tip) direction, and the spacing between denticles is greater toward the base of the tooth.  On the lingual face, there are pronounced ridges.  From a recent post, I am considering Pectinodon or Troodon, as remote possibilities, but the denticles are not so large, oddly spaced, and there are the pronounced ridges.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Mark

MP9A0868sm.jpg

MP9A0869sm.jpg

MP9A0870sm.jpg

MP9A0871sm.jpg

MP9A0872sm.jpg

MP9A0873sm.jpg

That's better with the scale thought it might be a shark spine , Troodontid don't come 1" , my bad.

Trying to determine if it's a morph of Zapsalis or one of the other two you mentioned.  The face on the one side is real odd with two ridges down the center

Thanks and very cool tooth.   I don't think it's Paronychodon or Zapsalis.   When I compared the characteristics between your tooth and Troodon and Pectinodon it has more of the characteristics of a Pectinodon and hardly any of Troodon other than the upward pointing serrations.   Troodon denticles are pointed they also curve and then point upward and are similiar down the carina.  Pectinodon denticles tips are round, very irregular in length and are straight.  Right now I'm leaning towards it being Pectinodon possibly a morph type or just one of the front incisor teeth.   I'm still puzzled with the side with the two ridges on the edge,  have not seen that before on these species.  More typical of Dromaeosaurids so I'm not going to exclude that it might be a morph type of something else.

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Isn't this the upper incisor of the multiberculate Dipriodon robustus.

I think you are right. Here is an illustration from "A Review of the Cretaceous Mammalia" Henry Fairfield Osborn, 1891.

meniscoessus.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

1 minute ago, MnMark said:

Wow,  I never would have guessed mammalian...

Same here. :blush:  What a great little tooth. 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg