Hawkser Find possible Bone

judgesteve

I found this between Hawkser and Robin Hoods Bay near Stainsacre. Any ideas or help with identification please. I also found some nice therapod prints which I will load later. Could this be sea reptile or is it a bamboo like wood. I really hope this is bone as I managed to get cut off by the tide and having descended the steps at 10.15 am last Tuesday I got back up them at 13.13 the following day. 26 hours wet and hungry with no phone signal and no takers on my morse code SOS torch signals. Wife was not impressed. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like an internal cast of a stem from a plant called Calamites.

http://www.google.com/search?q=calamites+internal+cast&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

Nice one.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with that ID.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Indeed, - nice specimen! :)

Thanks for posting it. 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think the Carboniferous - Early Permian Calamites would not fit with the Jurassic sediments of the Cleveland Basin. Geology of the Yorkshire Coast

1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Could be one of these : Palaeobotany and petrology of a Middle Jurassic ironstone bed at Wrack Hills, North Yorkshire

I'm leaning toward Equisetum, maybe Equisetum beanii (Bunbury) Harris, see document.

Hill, Moore, Greensmith,Williams 1985.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very interesting thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. The area has a lot of leaf fossils - this one was approximately .5 mile away on the same trip along with coastal ripple impressions (I am told these are not strictly fossil). I will attach photos below.

image.jpg

I could interpret the strange shapes on the rocks of the last photo as diagenetic structures. The meandering forms could be Westerstetten structures, the Liesegang rings are visible on the surface of the other rock from the left side of the picture.

according to Adolf Seilacher. 2007. Trace Fossil Analysis.

" They consist of micritic calcite and cover upper surfaces of blocks of Jurassic limestone floating in the residual clay of a karst fissure. (...)
Fine internal lamination also shows that the sausages accreted at their ends. This links them with the colorful Liesegang rings that decorate the sandstone walls of Petra (Jordan). Similar patterns have been described as meandering trace fossils (cf. Helminthoida) in Triassic sandstones of Germany. "

Westerstetten_muster.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Westerstetten_muster.jpg

Nice finds !

• I found this Informative 1

Thomas Mann

My Library

22 minutes ago, tmaier said:

That long plant leaf looks like Odontopertis, but then abysunder will say that can't be possible due to the age.

I think you are referring to Odontopteris;)

Thomas Mann

My Library