StephLeigh

I have collected lots of coral from southwest South Dakota. I believe the majority is horn coral. Despite having a few publications and checking the web, I have several I'm not sure of. A lot of what I find looks agatized. I have attached a photo of what I am guessing is chaetetes coral? Would ove some input. 

If if someone can suggest a listing of Fossil coral, sponges and Bryozoans with detailed photos or identification, I'd appreciate it. I feel like I have an idea on most of it, just not 100%.

Many Thanks! IMG_4100.JPGIMG_4098.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

Cool finds!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

It looks like one. It might be or a similar taxa. But, I am no expert. We really need someone else to answer.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

4 hours ago, StephLeigh said:

Large piece chaetetes coral? 

Chaetetids have been determined to be sponges. Referring to the photo with the penny; I'm not sure there is a clear enough view of the pattern to tell if that is what this is. It could easily be a tabulate.

The larger piece on the right looks more like a mineral to me.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Chaetetids have been determined to be sponges. Referring to the photo with the penny; I'm not sure there is a clear enough view of the pattern to tell if that is what this is. It could easily be a tabulate.

The larger piece on the right looks more like a mineral to me.

Do you still think mineral? Thanks for the correction sponge/ coral. So much to learn. 

31 minutes ago, StephLeigh said:

Do you still think mineral? Thanks for the correction sponge/ coral. So much to learn. 

Not so pretty much. 

Could be a tabulate similar to this.

IMG_3988a.jpg

IMG_3990a.jpg