Tony G.

Green River Insect?

Tony G.

Need help identifying this fossil.  Green River formation.  Parachute Creek member.  Douglas Pass, Colorado.  Radar Dome location.  The specimen is 5/8" across.  This is the best I can do for a photograph until I can get a macro lens. (or learn how to take better photos)  I have tried many different settings and lighting, but I can't seem to get a better photo.  Thank you for your help.

Green River insect..jpg

ashcraft

My poor guess is a springtail.

Brent Ashcraft

caldigger

I think you photo looks good.

Ramon

Cool fossil!!! What ever it is!!! :dinothumb:

jpc

This is a tough one... it is hard to even ID insect parts.  

siteseer
7 hours ago, Tony G. said:

Need help identifying this fossil.  Green River formation.  Parachute Creek member.  Douglas Pass, Colorado.  Radar Dome location.  The specimen is 5/8" across.  This is the best I can do for a photograph until I can get a macro lens. (or learn how to take better photos)  I have tried many different settings and lighting, but I can't seem to get a better photo.  Thank you for your help.

Green River insect..jpg

Yeah, you're going to have to wait for an insect collector/researcher for that especially since it's a side view.  It looks like a beetle and I'm leaning towards a weevil - right size range and it has the "armored" look of a beetle.

Tony G.

After researching insects on Google.  I think this looks similar to some of the modern Jewel Beetles. (This is a new photo of the opposite half of the fossil)

IMG_2431.JPG