Vertebrae of what?

ilzho

Excellent find! They could be considered hyperostosed caudal vertebrae of Merluccius bilinearis.

0171a.jpg

excerpt from  R. W. Purdy, V. P. Schneider, S. P. Applegate, J. H. McLellan, R. L. Meyer and B. H. Slaughter. 2001. The Neogene sharks, rays, and bony fishes from Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North Carolina. Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology 90:71-202

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you.

I remembered when I found it, there were some people who really liked it and they said others have found some too, but they didn't know at the time what they were.

This was in the early 1980's.

After 21 years, if they read the document above, they probably know. :)

Congrats for your find!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

hahaha, thank you.

It's neat to be able to identify this stuff through wonderful people like yourself.

My fossils for that last 25-30 years have been sitting in acrylic drawers waiting for positive id.

Now that I have a few glass display cases, I am pleased to be able to have some properly identified.