Finally, a fossil excursion!

masonboro37

I finally had the opportunity and time to take a trip to an amazing quarry! I have not had many times to do this in the last year. Just awesome to be at this quarry and to be able to see our friends and visit.  The best part of the day is that my son was able to experience the area again and have a blast collecting fossils!  The area we hunted was Pleistocene, Waccamaw Formation, North Carolina. It is such  special area and I am so happy of the times we are able to go there. Being able to hunt in an area where you are actually on an ancient sea bed is priceless and then captivating.

Whenever we are at this quarry I can close my eyes and take a deep breath, I think of the life which was in this area and then look at the piles and layers of beautiful gastropods and other the marine life which existed two million years ago. I see gastropods all clustered together, broken sand dollars, slipper shells and many fractured shells.  I think of what have must have happened millions of years ago for such a mass areas of demise. We all know what caused it, so interesting researching it all! 

My son thought this was the "coolest thing ever". Moving on with our trip, we hunted there for a good portion of the day. There is a big field in the back of the quarry which has wild plants growing. There was wild Honey Suckle, beautiful ferns and then an interesting tree with what looks like  "bottle brush" type bloom. On the way home we just had to stop at an area which in on the Brunswick River, NC. We always search for Eastern Woodland Indian artifacts....we found some! 

58ec3e5e87b92_unnamed(13).png.8bf77ab9a44bb2bd20b5580f68ed7abd.png

unnamed (1).png

unnamed (9).png

unnamed (2).png

Topographic Map Exercise FA15.docx

• I found this Informative 3

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Libby! :D 

Good to see you out and about again! 

Thanks for the report and great pics!

You found some wonderful things. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Libby,

Glad to hear that you managed to get out into the field again. Sounds and looks like you and your son had a great time. Hopefully you can repeat the experience again soon!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice trip report and nice finds! Glad you were able to get out and have fun with your family.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Sounds like you and your family had an excellent time collecting. Those fossils are exquisite. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Hi Libby, nice to see you again !

About the 2nd pic have a look on Triviidae family. On the 3rd one, perhaps Muricidae family. I can't tell you more because I don't know the gastropod fauna of this area...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great Finds! Hope you find more in the future.

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 hours ago, Cris said:

Sounds like a fun trip with some nice finds! :)

Cris,

It was fun! The quarry has really been excavated, but we were able to come home with some nice specimens. Thank you for checking out my post.

22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Libby! :D 

Good to see you out and about again! 

Thanks for the report and great pics!

You found some wonderful things. 

Regards,

Hey Tim,

We sure did get out and about. Planning on more trips soon. Thanks for the comments and hope all is well! 

21 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice report and finds, glad You could get out!

Thank you very much! The weather was so perfect and the catching up with friends was too.

17 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Hi Libby,

Glad to hear that you managed to get out into the field again. Sounds and looks like you and your son had a great time. Hopefully you can repeat the experience again soon!

Hi! We are planning some more trips soon and he really enjoys fossil hunting! I started him out fossil hunting at a very early age and he loves it!  

14 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice trip report and nice finds! Glad you were able to get out and have fun with your family.:D

Thanks so much! Always an adventure and it never ends! Priceless. 

15 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Sounds like you and your family had an excellent time collecting. Those fossils are exquisite. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

I appreciate you checking out the trip and thank you for your nice comments! I am posting some more pictures tonight, if my computer will behave.

14 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi Libby, nice to see you again !

About the 2nd pic have a look on Triviidae family. On the 3rd one, perhaps Muricidae family. I can't tell you more because I don't know the gastropod fauna of this area...

Coco

Hi Coco, hope all is very well! The second pic is a Pink Trivia, I tried to post the id's on the specimens, but I need to get used to the new format on the FF. Thanks for looking at the trip. 

Thank you so much. It is so nice to get back out there when we can and fossil hunt...amazing to watch as young ones are captivated by it all.  

Some more pictures from our trip of tooting around the quarry. This is Callistoma wilcoxinana. I love these, so small and delicate!

fossilgastro.png

Not sure of the identification on this one, I am looking in my books. It came out of the matrix just splendidly! 

unnamed (4).png

Once again looking in my books for an identification and I do not have one of these in my collection. There was not another valve present. 

unnamed (10).png

Tulip Shell, Fasciolaria apicina. This is the identification from my book, but I may be incorrect. This Tulip Shell after cleaning still has beautiful color.... I will take a pic and post.

fossilgastro3.jpg

This gorgeous tree/shrub was growing everywhere! Reminds me of the Bottle Brush shrubs in our backyard, ours are a pomagranet red hue though.. Looked through my native NC pant books and still looking. It attracted many butterflies and bee's (yellow jackets and wasps).  Saw a few honey bee's hanging out on it. Hmmmm.

unnamed (11).png

It's good to hear from you again, Libby. I'm happy that your son was excited by his outing. Fossil hunting is such a great mix of fun, adventure and learning.

It's great to pick up beautiful seashells on a modern beach, but to pick up shells from 2 million years ago, how cool is that!

Could your tree/shrub with the pretty yellow flowers (catkins?) be a type of willow? Maybe black willow? The flowers look like female catkins to me, but I can't really tell from the picture.The leaves look short for a willow, but the young leaves might be shorter than those on the mature branches, I'm not quite sure. Beautiful in any case.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:11 PM, masonboro37 said:

Not sure of the identification on this one, I am looking in my books. It came out of the matrix just splendidly! 

unnamed (4).png

Looks like a Cancellaria?