Is it coprolite?

cyruspup

Is this coprolite? I am new to fossil hunting and found this Sunday while hiking. Rock weighs about 10 pounds and is 9 inches long. Found in an area where coprolite is found.

Mohave Valley, AZ

p4100080(3).jpg

First let me say...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I don't see anything here that would indicate this is a coprolite. With coprolites, the first thing you look for is the shape. Your rock looks like it has been exposed to a stream or wave action at one time or another. The second thing we look for is inclusions such as bits of bone, fish scales, etc. Lastly, we need to consider whether or not there is evidence of creatures that may have been capable of producing the coprolite. Your stone looks siliceous (some sort of jasper perhaps). Because of the fossilization process, when it comes to siliceous coprolites, inclusions and association with body fossils is the only way to determine if they are in fact coprolites. My guess is you have a beautiful stone that looks like it would take a nice polish. I hope this helps!

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so much Lori. I am bringing it to the rock club Friday and let the experts look at it. I will let you know what they say.