Today's peace river adventure

joshuajbelanger

Today I decided to hit an all new location.  I have my personal Mosaic spot, which is a stretch of river that isn't very populated.  But, we've hit this area in force last season, and due to the nature of the fossils they do not regenerate in one season.  The fossils in this area are actually extracted from limestone, rather than the bank, so it takes time to replenish. At least, this is my personal observation.  I actually prefer this, because I am not fighting other people for spots, and the fossils are usually of a more beautiful color because they are straight from limestone.

Anyway, I've hit my mosaic spot for a couple miles north and south of the put in point, but today I decided to put in several miles south of the furthest south I've gone, with the intent to make my way north until I recognize the surroundings, which I did.

So, 10 minutes into my northern trek into unfamiliar territory, I come across several gravel bars that had been lightly hit.  I don't sift, but, there was a limestone embankment that I decided to nose around.  I immediately saw what looked like a huge chunk of tusk tangled in palm roots.  I pulled it out with my paddle, and being fooled before looked for the schreger lines, alas they were there, clear indication that this was mammoth tusk(still looking for those 90 degree mastodon lines). Upon closer inspection, there was several mammoth jaw bone fragments as well.  I dug what I could out, and decided to push forth.  I figured, today is already a good day!

I moved on until I hit an area with large limestone embankments and a waterfall.  There was no sign of vertebrate fossils(oddly) so I started breaking open limestone, and pulling out some really nice inverts.  I also collected some interesting modules encased in the limestone for later inspection.  Bored and burning, I pushed forth.

The final area I hit reminded me of my mosaic locations.  Bones scattered here and there, fossilized and non.  I picked up everything with a little appeal.  It wasn't long before I found several large sections of mammoth tooth.  I know there is more there, but the water quality, although low, was poor for visibility.  After finding all the low hanging fruit, I paddles north until I recognized my surroundings.  Then happy with my findings, I made the leisurely paddle back down stream. 

Today was was a good day.

IMG_2591.JPG

Thanks for the report. Looks like you've got yourself a good assortment there. It's always good to venture into the unknown corners of the galaxy. Can you give us a few closeups?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congratulations Joshua! Great haul!:envy:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here are some close ups.  Mammoth tusk needs a little tlc, but it came from a monster mammoth.  Some of my finds are just oddballs and whathaveyous, I keep anything that peaks my interest.

RenderedContent-255D4F8A-0DC8-4D04-9CD1-DB0DEB195681.JPG

RenderedContent-240A6A57-F94E-471D-B400-D5F65E5BA1AF.JPG

RenderedContent-A46A68E0-E975-41D3-B0F5-96BFCE524AC1.JPG

RenderedContent-D39E4E4C-B33C-47AF-AAF1-20E9B225A373.JPG

RenderedContent-D6D8CCBB-EA37-4127-91FE-467785D70902.JPG

RenderedContent-A09A1B95-5D34-4433-B62D-9E8EB168E99A.JPG

RenderedContent-ABDE96B9-9C21-44DF-935F-49DA8B0A16A9.JPG

RenderedContent-001AD326-8DB5-4A0F-BBE2-DA76BDCD384F.JPG

RenderedContent-9B9DB4B7-C3FE-475A-B2BF-B56B87BDA01E.JPG

RenderedContent-159495E3-3A19-4E59-BD3C-E10BF0A224F6.JPG

RenderedContent-1CB45E41-7E8A-4B26-945E-B8A365A83D3D.JPG

RenderedContent-D83E7D3E-C94B-444A-9487-5F4DA8694120.JPG

RenderedContent-C92C974D-A5B4-4D2A-AA26-B9F0A679EB7E.JPG

39 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Awesome looking tusks @joshuajbelanger

It's alright, not as pretty as my first one.  But hey, I'll take it!  Hopefully it will preserve nice, these tusks are tricky, always wanting to disintegrate :wacko: 

Nice finds. Your garage must be getting full! Continued success. Regards, Chris