Jump to content

Starfish / Oyster association


crabfossilsteve

Recommended Posts

crabfossilsteve

Recently, I did some prep work on a couple of specimens that may turn out to be new crab species.  This prep work was done in exchange for some trade specimens that I didn't have in my collection.  As part of the trades, my new friend generous provided a starfish fossil.  This starfish specimen was loose and a small part of one arm was missing.  Since I prefer specimens in the matrix, decided to try to mount the specimen in some matrix.  However, since I didn't have matrix from the location, my friend later provided a slab with some oysters in it.  Apparently, starfish are often found  (when found) in association with oysters.  Both sets of specimens needed some preparation.  After prepping and reconstructing the missing part of the starfish and the oyster plate, I excavated and molded a spot for the starfish.  Wanted to be able to remove the starfish so you could look at the oral side.  This starfish shows its madreporite and the small spines on the oral side.  Very cool.   I recognize that this was a created association, however, it represents an association found in natural environment of the locale.   Hopefully, this plate falls within the preparation category.  Finished this work in May.  Wish I had taken pics of the befores and afters...Argg.

IMG_0045 (2).JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Nice looking piece, Steve. 

Regards,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good work! It looks amazing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Recently, I did some prep work on a couple of specimens that may turn out to be new crab species.  This prep work was done in exchange for some trade specimens that I didn't have in my collection.  As part of the trades, my new friend generous provided a starfish fossil.  This starfish specimen was loose and a small part of one arm was missing.  Since I prefer specimens in the matrix, decided to try to mount the specimen in some matrix.  However, since I didn't have matrix from the location, my friend later provided a slab with some oysters in it.  Apparently, starfish are often found  (when found) in association with oysters.  Both sets of specimens needed some preparation.  After prepping and reconstructing the missing part of the starfish and the oyster plate, I excavated and molded a spot for the starfish.  Wanted to be able to remove the starfish so you could look at the oral side.  This starfish shows its madreporite and the small spines on the oral side.  Very cool.   I recognize that this was a created association, however, it represents an association found in natural environment of the locale.   Hopefully, this plate falls within the preparation category.  Finished this work in May.  Wish I had taken pics of the befores and afters...Argg.

IMG_0045 (2).JPG

Holey Moley Steve that is cool!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
crabfossilsteve

Thanks Rick.  Hope you've been hitting the fossils this Spring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that you did one heck of a quality prep on that one steve!   Looks very natural.  Nice job.

 

RB

Link to post
Share on other sites
doushantuo

Steve,man ,give it up.That plate is so poor,it beggars belief.

Donate to an overseas(e.g.European) charity is what i say

The world should be rid of shoddy work like this,no craftsmanship whatsoever in evidence here.

I'd be VERY willing to sacrifice my retinas and have this monstrosity at home,in a prominent spot.

AS a reminder of what we humans are capable of

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings on this one.

First I want to say- it is an absolutely wonderful prep and insertion job!!:dinothumb:

The sea star is a fantastic piece (Can We see the underside?) and does look nice with the association.

 

But the "purist" in Me shoulders at the thought of the artificial nature of the piece. (At least it is better than the stuff from Morocco!)

 

Respectfully,

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites
crabfossilsteve

RJB, doushantuo and ynot.  Thanks alot for your kind comments on my prep work.  I was very happy with how this piece turned out.  It says alot to get hight praise from the great and wonderful RB...Thanks.  ynot, I do understand your purist outlook.  I knew going in on this one, I might receive the boooos from the purist....ha ha.  Not sure I care for the comparisons with the Moroccan stuff though.  Oh well, can't please everyone.  What I was after was a natural looking piece.  I like it........ha ha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

I might receive the boooos from the purist....ha ha.  Not sure I care for the comparisons with the Moroccan stuff though.

Only a small boo:D

 Morocco was the only place that came to mind. (Be thankful it was not the China fakes that popped in there.):rofl:

 

Your piece is a very nice piece, and I intended no offence, just trying to be truthful.

 

4 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

 What I was after was a natural looking piece.  I like it.

That is all that really maters!

 

Tony

 

PS would still like to see a picture of the underside of the seastar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
crabfossilsteve

Hey ynot, No problem..Really.  I only took a very small offense...ha ha.  Since I think alot of fossil prep work involves some artistry, I appreciate the aesthetic of fossils and much prefer my fossils in matrix.  I was trying to be truthful by saying upfront that the piece was an amalgam. 

 

Goatinformationist, I think you captured the idea.  My background is in the biological sciences with emphasis on evolutionary biology and with a large element in art.  

 

I'll try to take some shots of the oral side of the starfish and put them up.

 

Enjoying the feedback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
crabfossilsteve

Fossil-Hound and dirtdauber

 

Thanks alot for your comments on the specimen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 7:09 PM, crabfossilsteve said:

I'll try to take some shots of the oral side of the starfish and put them up.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Link to post
Share on other sites
crabfossilsteve

Hey All.  In response to requests, here are some pics of the starfish's oral and aboral surfaces.  My phone camera couldn't get close enough to show the small spines on the oral groove, but does show some detail.  Also a pic of the molded pit for the star on the slab.  

 

IMG_0066.JPG

Couldn't get them all on one message

IMG_0070.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Great job, Steve. :) 

Came out wonderfullly!

Thanks for showing us how it was done.

Regard, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

ynot, here are the pics for your viewing pleasure

Thank You.

Looks very nice!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...