little starfish from Swatara State Park

DavidFass

Hi all.  This is from Swatara State Park in PA (ordovician/devonian).  Many shell imprints, which are hard to see the way I took the photo, but my son and I were wondering what the little starfish would be.  It's very small, maybe 5mm.  Anyone have an ID?  Thanks so much!

swatara_starfish.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

That's a columnal from a star crinoid. 

• I Agree 4

Thank you!  You also answered another question about some segmented-looking fossils in the same rocks... I think they are the columnals lying the other way.  Many thanks!

54 minutes ago, DavidFass said:

Thank you!  You also answered another question about some segmented-looking fossils in the same rocks... I think they are the columnals lying the other way.  Many thanks!

If you find a well-preserved example the detail in these can be amazing under a jeweler's loupe. 

• Enjoyed 1

You should be aware that it is illegal to remove fossils or anything else from most state parks in the USA. There are some exceptions. I don't know if this is one of them.

I just Googled Swatara and see that they do indeed have a "fossil pit". Cool beans!

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
added info

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yes, from what I have read, it is permitted to dig out fossils in Swatara at that location.  And believe me, it has been heavily, heavily, dug.  But still very easy to find this kind of stuff.  It's a real thrill for me!