ID help please

Barek

Hello TFF!

I went exploring the cliffs at Beaumaris (Melbourne, Australia) recently and found some small fossils. 

While I recognise the Echinoids from other posts, I was wondering if the piece in the bottom right is also a fossil of some sort? 

Also I found a shell that's stone/rock - is this a fossil?

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

I'm not familiar with that area but upon first glance the dark grey entity appears to be either a piece of igneous (volcanic based) rock though I'm really not familiar with the geological history of the area. If this where a fossil it would most likely be a vertebrae or bone segment and I don't see any bone pores and therefore must rule this one out and make a decision that it is a rock.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

14 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

I'm not familiar with that area but upon first glance the dark grey entity appears to be either a piece of igneous (volcanic based) rock though I'm really not familiar with the geological history of the area. If this where a fossil it would most likely be a vertebrae or bone segment and I don't see any bone pores and therefore must rule this one out and make a decision that it is a rock.

Cheers! Really appreciate your reply! I'm very new to this so was unsure of what it was. There is a lot of volcanic rock in the area.

I have some other trips planned so I'm sure I'll be posting more rocks on the future hahaha! 

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.

The bottom picture of the "shell that's stone/rock" is a fossil, a steinkern which is an internal mold of a gastropod similar to a cone shell. A steinkern is the hardened sediments (looks like sand) inside a shell that is visible when the shell dissolves or erodes away.

Send us some close up pictures of the echinoids from several angles to help us ID them.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

29 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.

The bottom picture of the "shell that's stone/rock" is a fossil, a steinkern which is an internal mold of a gastropod similar to a cone shell. A steinkern is the hardened sediments (looks like sand) inside a shell that is visible when the shell dissolves or erodes away.

Send us some close up pictures of the echinoids from several angles to help us ID them.

Ohh that's great info! 

I'll include some pics below

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

Welcome from England.Lovely finds,mine are usually beach rolled.Can you put a side picture of the black piece,it may be a scute (croc/turtle armour)

Yvie

This look is often extremely difficult to identify positively. It may take a locally trained eye.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Barek said:

Ohh that's great info! 

I'll include some pics below

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

Beautiful Lovenia woodsii echinoids - congratulations!!!

• I found this Informative 1