Inspiration and advice please

JohnBrewer

Hi master prep guys

This has been a real challenge for me and I'm struggling. Any wisdom much appreciated. 

Potentially I've got a lovely ichthyosaur paddle here but it's driving me crazy. The matrix is so flaky I've had to put a stack of thin Paraloid on to stop the matrix disintegrating. I'm wondering if adding the Paraloid has stuck the matrix to the bone. The matrix is softer than the bone but is dangerously flakey without the Paraloid.

I have a pen, pin vice and a hammer. The last tool is rapidly becoming an option!

Should I selectively remove Paraloid-ed matrix? Other thoughts?

FullSizeRender.jpg.337c33dc49db1f4330c4bd0e98910938.jpgIMG_5700.JPG.46ecd10350beb654e4e7531e8f15f671.JPGIMG_5701.thumb.JPG.4eb16e1554c730e273e06e9471910788.JPG

@Ptychodus04

Looks like a cool project,  good luck.  I don't have enough experience on this type of matrix to offer the appropriate advise.  It looks like it's going to be an very nice piece when done.   

• I found this Informative 1

@Troodon thanks for the heads up.

@JohnBrewer, you may have bonded the matrix to the bone with the paraloid. That is very common when the matrix is extremely friable. The best solution for this is to locally remove as much paraloid from the bones as possible with acetone without spilling it onto the matrix that needs to stay stabilized.

I usually do this by repeatedly dropping a few drops onto the specimen and immediately brushing it off or scribing away the loosened matrix. It is an extremely slow process. It sometimes is better to attack the area with a needle since the paraloid will be a bit sticky.

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like fun!!That mineral banding looks interesting,is that in the bone or on top?Interesting= complicated?

Thanks guys. 

@Ptychodus04 thanks for your advice. Not looking forward to this one. 

@Yvie The matrix broke while excavating it and the banding is where it's glued together. I might colour just the matrix or the matrix and bone. I think just the bone would look snargy. :)

@JohnBrewer it's not going to be fun and it will take a while but I think it's going to turn out spectacular. Remember, put it away for a while if it's starting tie wear your patience. Distance makes the heart grow fonder with people and prep jobs alike! I've stepped away from preps for years before (never for a client though) and it was much easier after the time away before we started fighting again.

Of course, feel free to ship it across the pond to me if you want to. :P

Hey John, I think Pychodus put it pefectly.  Put it aside for awhile and go on the attack again at a later date.   Looks like a tricky one.  Good luck

RB

Great advice chaps. I quite like digging around in a ton of bone bed matrix I have just getting stuff out for school kids. It's good practice for me and I enjoy it. There's never any stress with this stuff. 

Bought home 2.5 litres of acetone from work today....:P

Edited by JohnBrewer
Edited for stupidity...

17 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Of course, feel free to ship it across the pond to me if you want to. :P

@Ptychodus04 very tempting Kris but preppers of your level command dollars consumerate with their skill. I'm outa that financial league dude. 

28 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

@Ptychodus04 very tempting Kris but preppers of your level command dollars consumerate with their skill. I'm outa that financial league dude. 

Flattery will get you everywhere. :P

• 1 month later...

John was kind enough to let me take a stab at his ichthyosaur nemesis.:P

It is indeed an extremely fragile and stubborn piece. All at one time, it wants to fall apart and remain stuck together.

After bathing it in acetone to remove some of the Paraloid, I began attaching it with the Micro Jack. Some pieces that were only held together by static electricity now have some thick PVA glue holding them.

Here's a picture after 2 hours of playing with it. Slow, but it will come along nicely I think.

IMG_4746.thumb.JPG.4c81b242f83fbb26cfc4298d4e7b26c8.JPG

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is indeed an extremely fragile and stubborn piece. All at one time, it wants to fall apart and remain stuck together.

After bathing it in acetone to remove some of the Paraloid, I began attaching it with the Micro Jack. Some pieces that were only held together by static electricity now have some thick PVA glue holding them.

Here's a picture after 2 hours of playing with it. Slow, but it will come along nicely I think.

Thank goodness for static electricity! 

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Thank goodness for static electricity! 

Hey, guys! Nice to see that there's a collaboration going on here! :popcorn:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. I'm calling it quits on this fish lizard at 10 hours! I've taken it to the point that further matrix removal would cause instability in the specimen. There is a good bit of pyrite in this matrix but between @JohnBrewer's Paraloid and my McGean B-15 there's no possible way it can begin to decay!

IMG_4907.thumb.JPG.4b34d625daed2169d05be129868d52aa.JPG