Searching for fossils- think I found some???

Becky Benfer

I've found a few fossils , or finds that I believe may be fossils. Am excited to find out your opinions about each of them. Thanks for all help!

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

Yes, most of them are. I know for sure two of them are but not so sure about the others. The one in the top right is a horn coral and the rock on the bottom left has imprints of crinoids (maybe some kind of coral but just go with crinoid :P )

Where were these collected?

I collected them in a field while looking for arrowheads/artifacts in Ohio. The Huron River runs through our area but these were found in a field. 

I agree with foozil on the 2. The top left looks like part of a brachiopod. The bottom middle and right are hard to see if they are anything more than limestone from the pictures.

Sure I can do that. I'm not sure if the others are fossils but I don't know what they are.

In the first photo, top right and bottom left are different sorts of rugose coral. I see no crinoids yet...

Tarquin

I'm not seeing any crinoid impressions either. :headscratch:

The "small item in the middle" is too blurry to make out the features. It might be best to set the object down rather than hold it, and try to get the focus on the detail. At present, that one looks more like a nodule.

The one on the far left looks a bit more like a branching Heliophyllum-like coral. Of course, closer pictures might be needed.

The top left item might be an eroded brach. In terms of photos, if you are using a cell phone or tablet, the ideal distance for focus would be about 3-4 inches. More closeups wanted! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Huh ?

She changed the pictures.

I swear there was a rock with crinoid imprints pictured there when I replied. (I think it was the bottom left piece in the OP.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

Sure I can do that. I

There is a 3 meg limit per post when loading pictures.

Use the replies to add more pictures.

Please do not remove pictures after posting as it makes any replies about them seem wrong to anyone that reads the thread after.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I haven't changed the pictures I just needed to delete some close ups in order to have room to post more. I will try using replys as suggested. Sorry for mix up!

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

May I ask what this thing is in the top of this pic? Kind of afraid of the answer cuz I picked it up! Lol! Thanks again!! Truly appreciate all of your help!

IMG_1642.JPG

Like I mentioned above, it might be much better to put the specimens down as you did in your most recent post. The camera has a way of sometimes focusing on our digits rather than the object we are trying to focus on. ;) 

As for that last post, the object in the top of the pic is likely geologic, but could also be a very worn mold or cast of a fossil.

The top one in the fourth post up looks like the siderite nodules that are often associated with coal deposits. I think it would be an iron sulfur compound, perhaps pyrite in the center.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I'm seeing a lot of geologic stuff as opposed to fossils. :( 

I think we should backtrack here to determine the formation from which you are pulling these. Once that is known, it really arms you for knowing what t be on the lookout for so you pull less geologic stuff and more fossils :) . 

Have you looked up a USGS map that includes your county yet?

No I haven't pulled up a USGS map of my county yet. Where might I locate one of those.? Just google it?? Thanks!