What is this?

joselms3

• New Members

Found in ohio on the Kentucky border in the hillside of a creek system. Dimensions measure 6 inches deep 11 inches wide 46 inches long. 

20240401_132602.jpg

20240401_132605.jpg

20240401_132608.jpg

20240401_132610.jpg

20240401_132613.jpg

20240401_132616.jpg

20240401_132623.jpg

20240401_132627.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

This is not a fossil. It appears to be a pillar of sandstone layers which have been loosened and separated out of the outcrop due to weathering and gravity.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

This is not a fossil. It appears to be a pillar of sandstone layers which have been loosened and separated out of the outcrop due to weathering and gravity.

That would explain the French bread look, but the bread board look it's on needs explaining. A nonconformity in layering? Or could it be a slab of concrete? 

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

That would explain the French bread look, but the bread board look it's on needs explaining. A nonconformity in layering? Or could it be a slab of concrete? 

Crevice infill after tectonic activity maybe?

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

When I noticed it, there was sandstone encapsulation on every side but the top face and half buried. I was able to expose what you see simply using my hands. I stopped at the bottom because the bond was much stronger. Thanks for the theories guys!

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

, but the bread board look it's on needs explaining. A nonconformity in layering?

I believe the depositional layering in the sandstone is roughly parallel to the underlying flat bed (zoom in on pictures 6 and 7).  The grooves forming the "slices of bread" are caused by fracturing and differential weathering along these fractures.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, ClearLake said:

I believe the depositional layering in the sandstone is roughly parallel to the underlying flat bed (zoom in on pictures 6 and 7).  The grooves forming the "slices of bread" are caused by fracturing and differential weathering along these fractures.

Maybe this is a case where it's hard to tell cleavage from bedding?

7 hours ago, ClearLake said:

I would go along with this assessment now. I'm not all that versed in sedimentology but it seems the most plausible to me.