Sigillaria log?

Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone, this is another Carbondale find. Tell me what you think, more pictures from different angles can be taken.

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Hey @WhodamanHD

Showing 5 pictures from the same view does not help. 

Sorry, I'm just not great at photography, especially with an iPad to take pictures, so I figure if I take a bunch, one will be clear enough:D

is there a particular angle that would help better?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, ynot said:

Depends on the fossil.

If it is just a 2 dimensional fossil one view is sufficient.

Usually front back and all sides is the best.

It's slightly raised, but it doesn't appear to go further into the matrix. The rest of the block its in has nothing in it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I can imagine it being a piece of lose cortex. The layer beneath where leaf scars would be apparent. 

• I found this Informative 1

yep, hard to tell from the photos but doesnt look like many details remain there. still interesting. Sharper photos may show something but the preservation may not. Still interesting. 

Regards, Chris 

13 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

yep, hard to tell from the photos but doesnt look like many details remain there. still interesting. Sharper photos may show something but the preservation may not. Still interesting. 

Regards, Chris 

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I don't see the typical structure that a sigillaria log would show. It would help if you could sharpen your photos  

Here's the pictures, I have a few from different angles so it might take a while to upload

IMG_2063.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tell me if more are needed and from where

IMG_2067.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I can imagine it being a piece of lose cortex. The layer beneath where leaf scars would be apparent. 

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Rockwood could be correct in his appraisal.

Okay, that makes sense. Cortex would be the outer layer of root, right?

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Cortex would be the outer layer of root, right?

Yes and no. There are multiple layers of the structural tissue in both the roots and trunk. My thought is that more of what would have this appearance would come from areas near the base of the trunk where expansion is required to support the growing plant.

• I found this Informative 1

Agree with Rockwood/Roger. Seems like there might be vestiges of the leaf scars within some of the parallel ribs.. Regards, Chris