Coelacanth Prep

Ptychodus04

9 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Fantastic work!

i could feel a bead of sweat starting to form on my brow with the thought of working on white bones in a rock that turns white when scribed :blink:

Oh yeah, it was a stressful one.

18 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Oh yeah, it was a stressful one.

Kris, 

I know the kind of rock you were dealing with, there.

This one of mine split nicely, but I am unable to split it any further - hard and unforgiving stuff, for sure. 

gallery_2806_718_638181.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Kris, 

I know the kind of rock you were dealing with, there.

This one of mine split nicely, but I am unable to split it any further - hard and unforgiving stuff, for sure. 

gallery_2806_718_638181.jpg

Very nice. It is evil matrix. Even the Aro won't chip it away. It just pulverized it. It would pulverize it fast but you can't see the tiny gin of the white bones as you go so I was only able to use it to remove thicker areas of matrix.

The Micro Jack #4 pulverized the matrix slow enough that I could see the white on white bones as I went. The only way to know is looking for texture differences. The bones are smooth white and the pulverized matrix is rough white!

I can see now that maybe next year I will put the offer out there to do some prep for hire?  Not that I dont have enough to prep, but it could be fun and help with finances?

RB

58 minutes ago, RJB said:

I can see now that maybe next year I will put the offer out there to do some prep for hire?  Not that I dont have enough to prep, but it could be fun and help with finances?

RB

There's lot of work out there and if you like to work for minimum wage (after all your expenses) it's a good gig!

I don't look at it like that because I fully intended to have a prep lab without doing work for others. So, I don't factor the equipment cost into my expenses. 

Hey @Ptychodus04, I quite working for others many years ago, but now, it seems a possibility for me.  Getting older I suppose?  Just the  idea of prepping other stuff, new things, seems very interesting to me now.  Plus, Im not too bad at prepping?  ha!   :)

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Ptychodus04, I quite working for others many years ago, but now, it seems a possibility for me.  Getting older I suppose?  Just the  idea of prepping other stuff, new things, seems very interesting to me now.  Plus, Im not too bad at prepping?  ha!   :)

RB

That's the biggest understatement of the day! The crab you sent me is ogled over by everyone who comes to my house.

I really enjoy prepping for others. I get to work on specimens that I would never have a chance to see otherwise.

I think I'm pretty good at prepping also. :D

@Ptychodus04,  That crab was the best one I had at the moment.  Quite the nice crab indeed.  and also, when it comes to prep, your not too bad,  In another week or so your gunna be real good.  Ha!!  :)

RB