Shark teeth (2) ID help

jgheels2003

At the recommendation of a fellow member I'm reposting two of the teeth I found a few weeks ago at Oak Island, NC to help get some more feedback on what they might be. I've added a couple more shots, one of the underside as well. Both have serrated cutting edges, and I had previously thought that the bottom tooth was just a straighter more symmetric looking Bull/Dusky/silky tooth vs. a tiny looking meg tooth. Top one I have no idea, but was given some good possibility of an extinct white shark predecessor. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!! Original pic is at the bottom.

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

The top tooth looks like it could be hammerhead. The other is Carcharhinus. Along the lines of bull, dusky, brown, or similar.

• I found this Informative 1

The bottom one looks like a Carcharhinus sp. to me (so indeed bull/dusky etc), but I can understand why you thought of a tiny meg, just think the bourlette would have been a little different and the shape would have been a little more triangular if it were a meg :) Not sure about the upper one! 

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, PaleoRon said:

The top tooth looks like it could be hammerhead. The other is Carcharhinus. Along the lines of bull, dusky, brown, or similar.

That was my original thought on the top tooth, except after some research, if I'm not mistaken, the serrated cutting edges rule out hammerhead??? In every other way it does look like one! I have no idea to be honest. Thank you for the response!

20 minutes ago, jgheels2003 said:

That was my original thought on the top tooth, except after some research, if I'm not mistaken, the serrated cutting edges rule out hammerhead??? In every other way it does look like one! I have no idea to be honest. Thank you for the response!

The modern great hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) has serrated teeth and one or two others can have unserrated or serrated teeth.  I think that tooth could be S. mokarran which is not often seen as a fossil (a few Pleistocene localities - maybe Pliocene as well).

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, jgheels2003 said:

Sorry I was wrong and got Your hopes up. 

Glad that You found out what (really) they are do to the more knowledgeable members here.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, siteseer said:

The modern great hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) has serrated teeth and one or two others can have unserrated or serrated teeth.  I think that tooth could be S. mokarran which is not often seen as a fossil (a few Pleistocene localities - maybe Pliocene as well).

Thank you!!! 

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Sorry I was wrong and got Your hopes up. 

Glad that You found out what (really) they are do to the more knowledgeable members here.

Oh no I appreciate all your responses!! Thank you!