Memphis area Nonconnah creek

Jrh38654

Hi, I live in the Memphis, TN area, and I am wondering if there is anywhere local to find some fossils. I am new to the hobby, and I'm not very picky on what I'm hunting for. I have heard about finding gravel bars on the Mississippi River, and also nonconnah creek. I'm not sure where to start looking at either location. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Here is a good place to look;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the forum! Most of the sediments around Memphis are Quarternary loess deposits that contain few fossils. The gravel bars can concentrate those fossils in one area, but there will be modern shells and detritus mixed in. A better bet is to head east into McNairy county were Cretaceous and Paleocene deposits can be found. The Pink Palace museum may also be able to point you in the right direction.

I visited nonconnah creek in south Shelby county today, and these are some of findings. I am brand new to fossil hunting, so I have no idea what I am looking at. I figured I would post it here for the locals and also the iD page. 

image.jpg

These are my guesses:

1-brachiopod

2-brachiopod imprint?

3-rugose(horn) coral

4- another type of coral, others may know which one 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Memphis has a mineral/fossil club.  The name escapes me, but a Google search should work. They take group trips around the area.  A good way to get your feet wet.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen